Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI VIP or Springfield EMP

fayetteflash

Had a EMP, it was ok but not a big fan of tiny pistols. Had a VIP in 45 and carried it for several years before I got rid of it. Currently have a STI Tactical with an Alum frame that I like even better. Might cut the slide back to Commander length (4.25")one of these days, not sure yet.

• 2 years later...

The custom EMP pistols in this thread would make it easy for me to choose. I keep telling myself that I can quit looking at EMPs now because I have a Shield 9mm that is smaller and a great carry gun that runs with zero tweaking needed, but so far I haven't been listening to myself.

I almost bought an EMP. Very nice gun. But, I just decided to go with the trusty old glock 19 gen 4. Under high stress I thought not having to worry about a thumb safety is just value added (as travis haley likes to say. lol) The glock 19 is ugly but it just seems more of a fighting gun as they say. I realize this is all just my opinion but it works for me! Plus, you could buy the 19, extra mags, holster, trigger job, and still have money for lots of ammo for the same price as a emp or vip. Another bonus is there are parts galore, aftermarket parts galore, and super easy to maintain and work on.

However, the EMP was super sexy, felt good in the hand, highly concealable and very tempting to buy. I never did find one to shoot. You guys that have them how do they shoot? Pretty snappy?

But if you compete with an STi edge or similar I think you should go for the VIP or tactical 3" or 4" (over the EMP). It would be more consistent with grip and feel for what you are used to. Plus magazines would be compatible (right?).

edit: I went back and re-read the OP and saw that you compete with the Eagle. My opinion would be the VIP (or tactical) over the EMP for the above reason....

Edited by 3djedi

I would not carry a 9mm single stack besides the EMP. I have both. The 9mm Single Stack is for the range. The EMP is scaled to the cartridge and is reliable.

I have been saying this for years: Springfield NEEDS to scale the EMP up to Commander and Government size. It would be the best 9mm 1911 on the market, because the action is the proper length for the cartridge. I would buy all three!

Edited by twodownzero

The mag well I use is the Heinie with a tweak or two. I have G-10 grips made just for this modification from Larry Davidson (Lazza's Monkey Grips). With this mod the grip has a solid lip for the little finger to grip the gun. The radius butt fits into the heal of your hand and the grips fill your hands. Along with an under cut trigger guard and grip safety blended higher the EMP fits the hand perfectly.

Photos of a gun done awhile back.

Rich

post-1700-0-57949100-1394365814_thumb.jp

post-1700-0-04687100-1394365831_thumb.jp

post-1700-0-61181900-1394365887_thumb.jp

post-1700-0-08153300-1394366141_thumb.jp