Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G21 Magazines Not Taking 10 Rounds

thunderstick

I have a G21 that I am planning on shooting L-10 with. The problem is the magazines don't like to take the 10th round. I have tried loading 10 rounds and leaving the magazines loaded for a month and still no luck. Any suggestions short of buying some hi-caps and only loading 10 rounds (seems like a waste of money).

thanks.

I have never had a problem loading ten in my mags, must be one of the lucky ones. I always use the Glock speed loader that comes with all the new pistols. It seems to help alot when it comes to the last few rounds.

i was at the range one day this week (or maybe it was everyday) but a buddy had a 10 rd 45 mag and i swear i believe that you'd push the floorplate off before you could get the 10th round in his......for that matter the ninth round was tough even with the Glock loading tool....i ordere him some extra strength wolff springs and we'll cut them off.....DICK

I have a G21 that I am planning on shooting L-10 with. The problem is the magazines don't like to take the 10th round. I have tried loading 10 rounds and leaving the magazines loaded for a month and still no luck. Any suggestions short of buying some hi-caps and only loading 10 rounds (seems like a waste of money).

thanks.

I had problems loading the tenth round in the mags too. Even broke one of the loaders trying to get the tenth round in.

Yup, I'm also having a b!+c# of a time loading that 10th round. I think glock made it so the gun is a real 10 shot - 9+1 in the the spout. I don't think it's the spring that is the problem, I use to have the 13 rounders and the springs are about the same. I think it's the extra material that they molded in the plastic to prevent them from breaking the 10 round post-ban rule ;) Kind of like those 10 round mags for guns originally designed to take hi-cap clips. I'm only thinking right now without actually opening the gun safe to inspect the mags, but once I get home I will open one up to see if my "thinking" is right. josh - "meroonkatapatkana" :D

Joshua is correct... the magazines are thinner on the inside. I had one 10 rounder that not only didn't take take 10 rounds, but also didn't want to drop free. Decided that if all it was going to be was a 9 rounder used to put one in the chamber at the start of the stage magazine... then I was going to experiment on it.

Took the magazine apart and took a file to the inside liner of the magazine (gasp!). Filed on both side removing any high spots. Finished with sandpaper and reassembled the magazine. Magazine now loaded with 9 and almost 10 rounds. Repeated 2 more times until the magazine took 10 and just a little more. Magazine now loads much easier, but also drops free. Did the same to my other magazines. Magazines don't seat as easily as my STI, but I don't get sore palms doing a reload anymore.

Kinda of radical solution.

• 3 weeks later...

badkarma, Nice name BTW. Anyway, so my thinking is correct? Wow! I wonder if all that cold weather in Wyoming made me think clearly??.. :wacko::rolleyes: Now I'm thinking of doing what you did I can get that 10th round in without spliting the lips of my mags. Except I got a cordless dremmel that goes slow. Me thinks one side of grinding will do the trick instead of both sides though, unless the extra material is by the follower when the 10th round is shoved in. What ya think? josh

I would ask Tom Novak if he would make you +1 followers for the big-frame Glocks. www.handgunneroutlet.net He's a good guy.

Right now he just makes them for 9mm and 40cal, only for the hi-caps. I bought a 5-pack of the 40 followers.

I made a couple of mine into 10round followers (grind off the legs outside the die lines - that's the difference.) They really help load ten into the 10-rounders, helps seating the mag in the gun too.

Joshua,

Use a straight file... work on both sides of the magazine. Try and do the entire length of the magazine from below the top taper. The first is the hardest, but once you get an idea of how much to file its just a matter of elbow grease. Don't get too enthusiastic or you'll end up with a +10 magazine.

Badkarma

Glock got in a little trouble with the ATF when there original 10 round mags would take 11 if you really worked at it. SO, Glock changed the mag a bit so now you have to stand on them to get the 10th round in. I know this from experience. They are real thumb breakers.

This was the explaination I got from an ATF agent and Glock shooter I shoot with.

Ktyler