Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke a sear spring on a 686 S&W

sslav

I bought this gun new back in 2005. I had put maybe 200-300 rounds through it back then and its been sitting in the safe ever since. Recently I got this crazy idea that I should shoot a revolver in competition. So a couple of weeks ago I started to dry fire it semi regularly and fired another 100 rounds through it. Last night in the middle of dry firing the gun started behaving erratically. Sometimes pulling the trigger would cock the hammer as normal and sometimes it would only rotate the cylinder. I took it apart and found that a tiny spring that is a part of the hammer assembly broke. Looking at the diagram I believe it is called a sear spring. Is this a common occurrence with this model?

The sear springs on the newer MIM-guts Smith revolvers are tiny little coil springs that are held in place by simple detents on the hammer and the sear. I've never seen one break. The more common problem is that sometimes people go messing around inside the gun and remove and replaced the sear spring carelessly, allowing the spring to be bent or squashed when reinstalled.

• 2 years later...

On Midway Italia I cant' find the specific MIM hammer sear spring, I look it only on Brownells, but both have a

" bolt plunger / sear spring " double use, that is too long for a MIM sear spring.

I think is the spring for the forged hammers, with pinned sear, right ?

On two of my 686 the spring are slightly bent :blush:

I just changed the one in my 627 out this last week. It had broken with about three coils down. I had an old spring from a L frame hammer. I shot a little more than 300 rounds on the 627 by then. Maybe quite a bit more. ;) later rdd

• 1 month later...

I agree with the above posts; we usually mess these up during assembly/disassembly. If I might make a suggestion, order a few of these and keep the spares in a safe place. If you work on guns, you will eventually lose or ruin something small and delicate. Nothing sucks worse than crawling around in the kitchen floor in the wee hours of the morning looking for a spring that small.

• 6 months later...

this sort of goes in the catogory of this thread... ( didnt feel like starting a new thread )

The MIM sears are the same for J / K / L / N / X frames correct?

looking for n frame sear, only mim one i found was this :

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/sear-parts/sears/sear-for-mim-hammer-sku940000505-14709-34186.aspx

says for J FRAME... I'm pretty sure they are all the same, but since I dont own any j frames I cant say first hand... Looks the same.

confirm ?