Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Glide

WS6

I had a P226 Elite ST in 9mm a while back. I used Tetra grease on it and it promptly became a jam-o-matic. Went to RIG+P, and it functioned great. THe grease was slowing the slide velocity.

Now I have the same handgun, but in 357SIG. Also, it has been QPQ'ed ("Tenifer").

I bought the "standard" (medium) Slide Glide, thinking that it will probably work just fine well below 60* because the 357SIG is known for some decent slide-velocities. Much moreso than the 9mm.

Did I get the right thing, is this "caliber specific", as I think it might be?

Also, what should I put slide-glide on? Just the frame/rails/slide grooves? Or should it also go on the outside of the barrel,locking lugs etc.? Is it too thick and will it just get pushed off the outside of the barrel where it locks with the front of the slide, would an oil be better suited for this?

WS6 You may need the SG Lite as the cold and the Medium "MAY"

slow the slide down at that temp. I use the lite with my open gun

as BE states. And yes use it on anything that "SLIDES" as well as

the lugs and barrel lock up area. Excess will push out, where you

have to much- after a while you get the hang of it-try it! Or you

could thin down the Medium with like FP-10 oil!

I normally SG Lite - it works great in Revolvers, especially in high load areas, so my semi-auto's get the same treatment. I use it liberally on the top and bottom lugs, and on the front of the barrel for bushing or bull lockups. However I still use CLP or FP10 on rails and trigger group components.

So far so good - it sure is sticky stuff !

I live in Colorado where I shoot in anywhere from 25 degree to 90 degree weather. I have both medium and lite slide glide. I use slide glide lite all the time. I did have my 2011 jam in the cold winter weather, so I added some oil....FP10, SnakeOil or Miltec1, right on top of the grease. It makes it work better in colder temps. Anything below 40 and I add oil.

I would use the SG Lite if you shoot in under 50 degrees temp or with a new tight fit gun.

I put slide glide on my rails and barrel. I use oil on the other parts, but you could use it on the whole thing.

Randy

Edited by redwoods

I use the Lite as well. rails, barrel, lockign lug, etc after a takedown and cleaning. If i just wipe it down after a short session, I usually just put a drop or two of oil on the key areas. havent had a jam issue since and the Slide guide stays right where i want it and works great

Weapon is a new P226 Elite ST

Temperatures will range from 45* to 105*, usually on the warmer end of things, though.

Function is secondary to protection, as the weapon will always be at 70* or warmer when called upon for self-defense, if ever.

Will the "regular" be too thick to protect the weapon? I come at this from an automotive standpoint, where I know that too thick of a grade of oil will lead to oil starvation of the main and cam bearings and actually cause more wear than it prevents. Does this happen in the firearm world with too heavy a grease on barrels/rails/locking areas? If so, is SG Regular too heavy when it gets cold, and could it clump/cause issues (other than jamming r/t low slide velocity)?

How does SG Regular compare to TW25B with regards to viscosity? (I dont have mine yet, but I do have TW25B)?

Well, it has arrived. I don't want to know any trade secrets, or anything like that, but for all the world it looks like synthetic wheel-bearing grease. It's even the same color. Can someone re-affirm that I did not spend 20X retail for synthetic wheel-bearing grease and an addative oil to thin it down? I am not knocking it, as I love the stuff, I just want to know a little more about what my money got me and why I should continue to use it instead of buying wheel-bearing grease.

I had a P226 Elite ST in 9mm a while back. I used Tetra grease on it and it promptly became a jam-o-matic. Went to RIG+P, and it functioned great. THe grease was slowing the slide velocity.

Now I have the same handgun, but in 357SIG. Also, it has been QPQ'ed ("Tenifer").

I bought the "standard" (medium) Slide Glide, thinking that it will probably work just fine well below 60* because the 357SIG is known for some decent slide-velocities. Much moreso than the 9mm.

Did I get the right thing, is this "caliber specific", as I think it might be?

Also, what should I put slide-glide on? Just the frame/rails/slide grooves? Or should it also go on the outside of the barrel,locking lugs etc.? Is it too thick and will it just get pushed off the outside of the barrel where it locks with the front of the slide, would an oil be better suited for this?

If you bought the Glide from me, there should have been application instructions included with it. It will stay put in the area you mentioned. More here:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

Please email or call if you still have questions.

Thank you,

Brian

Toll-free: 877 219-5598

M-F 9-5 MT

support@brianenos.com