Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Illinois USPSA

mildot1

I live on the east central side of the state.

The closeest club to me is over 60 mi in IN, 78 mi to the next and 100+ to the next after that.

I'm 45 mi from two 80,000+ towns that have no clubs.

There are two clubs that have trap, skeet and some type of centerfire ranges. However there is no interest there what so ever.

It just seems like there are not a lot of shooters in the area who even know what USPSA is.

Any ideas on how to get something going??

Even getting the word out?

I really didn't know much about the sport till I started shooting this year, kinda like a guarded secret around here.

How did some of you guys get yourselves up and running??

Thanks

Mildot

If you would be happy in my predicament thats great!

I'm looking at how to make things better and advance the sport.

There has to be some way to promote and increase????

It seems that we all are under the restraint of expense and time when it comes to our shooting. Could we do it more if we could relieve an hour of the drive and the cost of fuel??

Mildot

John and I belonged to a local club and we ask if we could start a USPSA club 3 years ago. In hind sight it would be easier to drive to another club . We put a lot of work into it and its going pretty good now. We only get between 20 and 30 shooter per match but thats going up too. We are hosting the 2010 Indiana S/S-Prod-Rev match in April. Come to it and I can tell you more on how we got started .

We got lucky that we had someone make steel and donate a lot of walls and that stuff . Its hard to get my club to put the money up for it at first. But now they see its bring in money now .The first 2 years we put about everything back into the match.

Brent

start with your area director, I will be voting for one that runs on a platform that specifically addresses efforts to fill the black hole of USPSA in VA. Not saying my current one hasnt it is just the most important issue for me personally. Lots of clubs in NC lots in PA, a few in MD, VA has 3 I am aware of in 3 extreme corners of the state. With nothing in the Richmond to Norfolk region which is probably the most populated. I have been in contact with my area director , I have contacted the owner of a large shooting school near by and I believe my AD has as well. He has a good location and huge range area that could host a great match once a month. I have volunteered to MD this match, But so far no luck. Another club nearby that only does cowboy I have started to bring up "Wild Bunch class" suggestions. This is basically shootign cowboy with 1911's. If enough modern gun shooters show up this could also be a thought.

Honestly so far I have accomplished zip, but I guess my point is it is up to you to get the ball rolling, find ranges, maybe get the old timers to tell you about clubs that used to have USPSA, find out why these clubs ended address the issue and see if you can get em going, talk to section and area leadership, volunteer time and effort to get new club going. And let me know if anything works.

Edited by Joe4d

Well I'm in Westfield just 20 miles from Mattoon. If you need something....info, etc. give me a hollar. Terre Huate and Loami are great places to shoot. PASA is 180 miles for me and at least 20 less for you. I don't get to Havana anymore and I've never shot a club match at Chili.

The first challenge is to find an appropriate place to shoot. That might mean developing something from scratch. Then you just have to start spreading the word. Go to gunshops, gunshows, anyplace where shooters might be found. If you can find 10 folks great, start with that. Have each one of them try to get one other person to come with them. Start small and just keep plugging at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that is pretty cool, we have one club in town, the next is 180 miles, then 250 then 370. I only go to one here and sometimes at the one 180 miles away as they have some awesome 3 gun matches.