Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seat and Crmp

JThompson

???

JT, a friend of mine bought my 550 so I could upgrade to a 650, and he we setup his press with a redding or an RCBS, can't remember but one of those that was a seat and crimp die. I'm not 100% sure, but I think most of the seat/crimps are roll crimp type and not exactly what you'd want for a pistol case.

Good luck,

Alan

Thanks Alan.

I like my 550 and it already has a case feeder with it. What I was thinking about is hanging a Mr Bullet on it. I can always upgrade to the 650-1050 down the road, but I like the idea of indexing the press by hand. I have some loads that fill the case up pretty high and am concerned with spillage. Also, my habit is to look into every case as I index the press. The routine work very well for me and I like to stay with what works.

I was just concerned about how well a seat crimp would function... I don't want to take one step forward and two back. I've never used the setup and don't know anyone who has, so I thought I would float it out here on the forum... I figured one of you has used the die.

JT

Edited by JThompson

We used to seat and roll crimp .357 back in the day using a single stage press. But since switching to a semi automatic pistol, seat & crimp have been separate operations. With jacketed bullets in same headstamp cases I don't see why it couldn't be done.

RCBS. Had a 45 sizing die that was scratching brass. Called RCBS and they sent me a new die body and didn't ask for the old one back.

Alright, I'll give them a call in the morning and explain what I want to do and with what press and see what the suggest. I hardly use any crimp at all on my 9mm all I do it knock the bell down.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

JT,

I have used the seat/crimp die for several years. I also use the 550. I had .38 special dies (RCBS) and I didn't feel like purchasing the Dillon dies at the time, so I just set it up with the seating and crimping done at stage 3, with stage 4 empty. I was just going to do this until I bought the Dillon dies, but it worked so well that I just left the RCBS setup on my toolhead.

DM.

JT,

I have used the seat/crimp die for several years. I also use the 550. I had .38 special dies (RCBS) and I didn't feel like purchasing the Dillon dies at the time, so I just set it up with the seating and crimping done at stage 3, with stage 4 empty. I was just going to do this until I bought the Dillon dies, but it worked so well that I just left the RCBS setup on my toolhead.

DM.

Thanks,

I got the die installed and it works like a champ... I have a bullet feeder on the way shortly. :) Call it an Open 550. :goof:

Thanks Alan.

I like my 550 and it already has a case feeder with it. What I was thinking about is hanging a Mr Bullet on it. I can always upgrade to the 650-1050 down the road, but I like the idea of indexing the press by hand. I have some loads that fill the case up pretty high and am concerned with spillage. Also, my habit is to look into every case as I index the press. The routine work very well for me and I like to stay with what works.

I was just concerned about how well a seat crimp would function... I don't want to take one step forward and two back. I've never used the setup and don't know anyone who has, so I thought I would float it out here on the forum... I figured one of you has used the die.

JT

I've got Redding, competition, seating dies in station 3, and put a light crimp at station 4. I also already have a case feeder on my 550, and was just thinking about a bullet feeder the other day.

Let us know how it works out, with a bullet feeder on it!!

I wanted to toss in an update for this one in case anyone needs to seek it out in the future. I went with the RCBS seat crimp die. It cost me under $30 and works like a champ. No issues whatever. Now I'm about a week or two from having a bullet feeder on the 550. Pics will be posted when I get it running.

JT

Is there a particular reason to use a seat/crimp die instead of doing seating and crimping seperately?

I've just always thought a taper was better than a roll? Is that wrong?

The bullet feeder eats up a station. Since the 550 only has 4 stations the seat/crimp operations need to be consolidated to a single station to free one up for the bullet feeder.