Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell for IDPA

MemphisMechanic

This brings up a question that has been on my mind. How do mag extensions and basepads fit into IDPA rules?

The gun can only weigh a certain amount. It has to do it with the mag inserted. When I've run tech inspection, I make sure I'm the one who feeds the empty into the gun. You're going to notice a brass or thick steel pad at that time.

Make it out of aluminum or polymer, and as long as it fits the box, you'll be fine. A polymer gun is so far under weights there's really no point in putting it on a scale.

Yeah I know the entire gun has to be 43oz or less and fit in the box. I was just curious how this rule applied to base pads

B. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes,

but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods,

brass magazine wells, weighted grips).

The definition of "weighted magazine" appears as the last thing in the rule book (on p. 82).

"Weighted Magazine: Any magazine that weighs more than one (1) ounce over the weight of a factory standard magazine for the specific pistol in question."

This brings up a question that has been on my mind. How do mag extensions and basepads fit into IDPA rules? I know this is a rules question but where would these basepads fit into the "no weighted magazine" rule. I am curious because I thinking about building up a true ESP gun and my Pro might be the candidate.

One can replace the basepads on the stock magazine, however the pistol, (with magazine installed) must fit the IDPA box AND the basepad can not be a weighted base pad (i.e. basepad under 1 oz).

Robert Ray also made a clarification last year, that basepads can be changed out for the SSP division as long as the pads are plastic or aluminum and do not add more than 1oz. to the stock magazine.

Humph, I guess I shouldn't let the ones we're using see this thread :roflol:

I know David Olhasso is also running a similar set-up only he made his extensions out of delrin.

I am not saying this is as good as what Kenny will make as it won't be but it is usable.

Dammit Dan, don't tell me you've been using them forwver and they worked fine at Nationals! I played with it for 10 seconds, so I know better!

:rolleyes::D

Maybe it will be worth a try if it's actually held up for you, but yeah, I'd rather have a metal pad designed for the unit.

If I were Ken, I'd come with with an 'IDPA ESP package' consisting of a magwell and 3-4 extensions for maybe $120ish. If I had known about the extension issue, and that had been on his site... I would have grabbed it without hesitation.:)

Picture time!

I took Dans advice and was very careful shaving these down. We'll see how well they hold up - they're sure latched on there right now. That's two factory fullsize basepads glued together with 5minute JB-Weld epoxy (JB Kwik).

Also a bunch of pics of the gun, and the magwell. As you can tell, I might've done a bit of dryfire practice with this magwell last night, even though the mags wouldn't latch into place. So it's pre-scarred. :D

The magwell hooks around the front lip of the frame's mag opening, and a pin is driven through the modified takedown tool he sends you. Very tight fit against the frame, and I couldn't ask for a smoother transition from magwell funnel to frame. If you dork up a reload (that's a techincal term) it's definitely your fault.

post-11460-126782725038_thumb.jpg

post-11460-126782725815_thumb.jpg

post-11460-126782726419_thumb.jpg

post-11460-126782726969_thumb.jpg

post-11460-126782727539_thumb.jpg

post-11460-12678272828_thumb.jpg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

IMHO IDPA has gone so far from what it stated out as. Today it is more like IPSC with a few minor changes, cover and different type reloading. My IDPA #AO1668 about 1997 rule book had 18 pages :lol: . That said I used a colt officers an S&A magwell it fit the box easy and your hand great got 7+1. Back Then a lot of shooters had S&A"s on full size 1911's. Some capitalized on the wide body guns Glock, Kimber polymer, STI/SV and Para had a magwell built right in.

Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to switching to an aluminum baspad for durability (and bling!) reasons, but I think the Burwellpad might have held up for quite a while.

Today I saw one of my XD shooting buddies, and I confirmed the Pistolgear XD slam pads DO fit a compact S&W base pad. It is darn near an exact fit, the holes even line up for mag disassembly.

Watch that 180! :closedeyes:

Uh... what? Are you from one of those odd "can't elevate the muzzle on the load" places?

Two SSS aluminum basepads are here, and after a VERY minor dremeling session (seriously took about 5 seconds to round two corners) they seat effortlessly inside the magwell. Look trick, feel great, and I want more of them. :D

Breaking in the magwell. Still getting used to the 'well, and I know I can pick up quite a bit of speed feeding that spare mag...

How easy is putting on and taking off the magwell? Also, could I use this in Limited minor on my M&P 9L?

Kenny's magwells go on and off very easy. I've been using his magwells for a couple years now and they are great. My origional baspads were made by screwing delrin to a factory pad and shapping it to fit the magwell and box. Recently I had a machinist make me a batch of solid aluminum pads. Unfortunately they weigh a bit too much so the ones destined for IDPA are getting extra holes drilled into them.

The SSS magwell on my 9L mates perfectly to a taylor freelance basepad for a 23+1 9mm. When the 5" 40 M&P shows up this year, I plan to add a SSS magwell and a taylor freelance extension for a 21+1 limited gun.

-dave

Kenny's magwells go on and off very easy. I've been using his magwells for a couple years now and they are great. My origional baspads were made by screwing delrin to a factory pad and shapping it to fit the magwell and box. Recently I had a machinist make me a batch of solid aluminum pads. Unfortunately they weigh a bit too much so the ones destined for IDPA are getting extra holes drilled into them.

The SSS magwell on my 9L mates perfectly to a taylor freelance basepad for a 23+1 9mm. When the 5" 40 M&P shows up this year, I plan to add a SSS magwell and a taylor freelance extension for a 21+1 limited gun.

-dave

Dave,

Can you use the regular mag springs and followers with the Taylor Freelance basepads?

The doubled up pads are a definite fail. One exploded on it's third introduction to a concrete floor during a load. Original basepad is there except for a small chunk, epoxy and second half... not so much.

Good thing Kenny sent me some blingin' aluminum pads which worked great. I've got an idea for my other mags, though. I'll keep you guys updated.

The aluminum SSS pad fit great. With fixed Dawson sights, theres about 3/16" of vertical space in the IDPA box. So even with tall adjustables you won't need a mallet to get your gun out.

Yeah I know the entire gun has to be 43oz or less and fit in the box. I was just curious how this rule applied to base pads

B. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes,

but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods,

brass magazine wells, weighted grips).

The gun has a full length dustcover so you have to make weight at 39 oz, the limit for SSP before it can play in ESP.

Take Care

Bob

Edited by robertbank

Robert Ray's decision was that the mag has to weigh 1 oz more than a factory one, or less. Haven't weighed the SSS-equipped basepad yet, but I've got a sanctioned match to shoot in two weeks. It'll get a date with my drill press next week if they turn out to be a tad heavy. But they don't FEEL heavy enough to worry about.

And the M&P longslides don't have full length dustcovers anway. The plastic frame/rail ends a full inch short of the muzzle. Even if it were a metal frame, it wouldn't have a full length cover. And as mentioned, STEEL frames are the only ones they care about. They're basically keeping the muzzle-heavy SVI's out of ESP.