Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lighter than 115

gunut

• 5 months later...

I'm shooting 95's right now. They go about 1200 FPS for limited and 1375 for my open gun.

I'm trying some 95 gr JHP from Montana Gold. I'm using 4.2 gr of Clays and getting around 1260 fps. Haven't seen any signs of over-pressure. I should be able to bump that charge up some more and clear 120pf. What powder and charge are you using to get 1375 fps?

It's somewhere between a 22lr and a minor gun. It tracks as well or better than my major load, but I can not hear my hits because it is so much loader than my USPSA major load. I'm going to try a different powder next time.

Is anyone shooting loads below 110 pf with either 88 or 95 grain bullets? I am wanting to build a gun to shoot this PF so I was wondering whoever does shoot this low what there gun weights are in terms of slide and barrel length. Thanks.

Greg

Below are my chrono results using 95gr JHP and 115gr FMJ Montana Gold bullets with Hodgdon Clays (gun is an STI Steelmaster shooting 9mm):

95gr

Powder Charge (grains) Avg Velocity (fps) Power Factor

3.8 1121.1 106.5

4.0 1210.0 114.95

4.3 1289.5 122.5

115gr

3.8 1071.5 123.2

4.0 1079.0 124.2

4.3 1124.5 129.3

For steel challenge, the power factor is recommended to be 120 minimum. Comparing the 95gr to 115gr, I would say that the 95 feels noticably softer and I can reacquire the sight picture faster. The 95's are a little louder than the 115's, but not as much as major power factor loads would be. I saw no signs of over pressure with any of these loads. I have normally shot the 3.8 gr with 115gr FMJ as my steel load, but I'm switching to the 4.3 gr with 95gr JHP. NOTE: The 3.8gr with 95gr JHP had trouble cycling in my STI Steelmaster. All other loads cycled fine.

Here is some video of me shooting the 95gr over 4.3gr Clays:

Edited by RocketCity1911

The 120pf thing is more of a guideline than a rule, they don't check. We had a couple guys on our squad, who shall remain nameless, shooting revolvers and you could actually see the bullets going downrange. Well under 120pf but they did stop the clock and stopping the clock is really all that matters.

Below are my chrono results using 95gr JHP and 115gr FMJ Montana Gold bullets with Hodgdon Clays (gun is an STI Steelmaster):

95gr

3.8 1121.1 106.5

4.0 1210.0 114.95

4.3 1289.5 122.5

115gr

3.8 1071.5 123.2

4.0 1079.0 124.2

4.3 1124.5 129.3

For steel challenge, the power factor has to be 120 minimum. Comparing the 95gr to 115gr, I would say that the 95 feels noticably softer and I can reacquire the sight picture faster. The 95's are a little loader than the 115's, but not as much as major power factor loads would be. I saw no signs of over pressure with any of these loads. I have normally shot the 3.8 gr with 115gr FMJ as my steel load, but I'm switching to the 4.3 gr with 95gr JHP. NOTE: The 3.8gr with 95gr JHP had trouble cycling in my STI Steelmaster. All other loads cycled fine.

Here is some video of me shooting the 95gr over 4.3gr Clays:

For SC, 120 is the recommended minimum due to the stop plates usually responding to that power factor. It can be lower and they respond/record the times. Anyway, if the stop plate doesn't stop the timer, there is a backup and an adjustment is made to compensate for the delay.

I've been toying with the idea of some cast 110 SWC's.. I've been loading these in 38 spl for a lever carbine and they appear to be tack drivers.. I haven't been casting them for long, so I am a bit curious how they perform in either my 627 or loaded in my open 38 super... I could easily size them down to .357 or .356 for the super. As cast they come out between .358" and .359". In the lever gun, 5.1 of 7625 yields about 960 fps.. a nice pipsqueak of 105 pf.

The 120pf thing is more of a guideline than a rule, they don't check. We had a couple guys on our squad, who shall remain nameless, shooting revolvers and you could actually see the bullets going downrange. Well under 120pf but they did stop the clock and stopping the clock is really all that matters.

The 120pf is, as you say, a guideline - it is what the stop plates are tested to respond to.

I think there used to be - maybe still is - a rule, though, that says centerfire ammo has to be going at least 750fps.

(ObNote, that's a PF of about 72 with a 92-grain bullet :roflol: )

The 120pf is, as you say, a guideline - it is what the stop plates are tested to respond to.

I think there used to be - maybe still is - a rule, though, that says centerfire ammo has to be going at least 750fps.

(ObNote, that's a PF of about 72 with a 92-grain bullet :roflol: )

Yes, that is still in the draft rules. When I talked to the office last time, they are still waiting to get everyone together to decide on the final rule book and no date was projected. In the meantime, the 750 fps is a very sound safety rule due to fragmentation of the bullets after hitting the steel.

Thanks for the loads with Clays but does anyone have anything with VV N320? Thanks

I am after some load data for a 90-100gr proji with VV N320 for use in my 38 super.

I'm using 5.0 of N320 with a MG 115 grain JHP bullet. You might try dropping a little below 5.0 with the lighter bullets and run them over a chrono to see how you end up. I've not shot with anything lighter than a 115gr.