Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kitchen Kydex mag pouches

GlowingDonut

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of you guys ever try one of the small/cheap scroll saws to cut the Kydex? Flat table to stabilize the sheets, looks like it could work. It LOOKS like an easy way to make nice, even curved cuts, but I don't any any experience with one of the little tools and I have no idea if it would be slow enough to avoid the melting I have had cutting Kydex with a Dremel cut-off wheel. Looks like you can find one for 75 bucks or a bit more, and I figure the expense might be worth it because I'll use if for a couple of other things, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a couple more holsters today because my friend wanted one and I wanted one made from thicker material. This time I used 1/8" kydex which is way more beefy than the 0.093" that I used last time. It's a little harder to work with and it doesn't conform as nicely to the contours of the gun, but I think it still works fine.

The first one was made with IDPA in mind since my friend had expressed interest in that style of match. Again, I'm a newb at these games so let me know if I should change something with the design or if something's not per the rules.

P1050914%20(Medium).JPG

P1050915%20(Medium).JPG

P1050921%20(Medium).JPG

The little triangle piece is a result of a less than perfect belt loop. I cut the belt loop lip too short so every once in a while, the holster would come out with the gun so I glued that piece there to grab the belt better. By the way, I did a little research and the kydex website says one way to glue kydex together is to use superglue so that's what I did. I used the gel stuff and it seems to be pretty strong.

Next up is my attempt at a DOH style holster for myself.

P1050918%20(Medium).JPG

P1050920%20(Medium).JPG

Where the belt loop wraps around itself, I again glued with superglue. The loop and whole holster is very stiff and I'm very happy with that aspect of the holster. One thing I'm a little perturbed by is that the gun tends to bind in the holster unless I draw it just right. I think what's happening is the offset puts more leverage on the belt and when I'm trying to overcome the friction it ends up twisting the belt, causing the gun to bind up. I'm not using a speed belt, just the 5.11 tactical gun belt with plastic liner.

So the question is, is this problem common with other DOH holsters used with non-competition belts? Will a CR speed belt fix this? Or is there something else going on?

So the question is, is this problem common with other DOH holsters used with non-competition belts? Will a CR speed belt fix this? Or is there something else going on?

I figured out the problem. My tolerances were too tight around the gun so the holster grabbed it too hard around the slide. The solution was to wrap a few layers of T-shirt around the slide and then wrap it in tape. Then, I reheated the holster and re-wrapped it around the gun and let it cool. There's more slop in there now, but the trigger retention allows it to click in solidly and release easily now.

So, I needed some mag holders for some STI 2011 mags. I could either buy some or try to make them too.

Here's what I came up with. The hardware is off the shelf from Ace hardware.

The screw is an actual tensioner. I used a rubber grommet as the spacer, just like the pros.

2010-10-05190101.jpg

2010-10-05190130.jpg

2010-10-05190158.jpg

2010-10-05190217.jpg

My pain-fueled insomnia was productive. Did my first holster last night.

It's fast. Like really fast. but it won't just let the pistol fall out. It maintains a nice little grip on the triggerwell.

I decided on a drop and offset style, but I didn't want either the drop or the offset to be too drastic so it's something like a half inch out and down.

The pics are with a camera phone, so they suck.

2010-10-09040035.jpg

2010-10-09040317.jpg

2010-10-09040258.jpg

2010-10-09040338.jpg

2010-10-09040410.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Great post going save a bunch, now to order a few sheets and heat gun. Single stack for me a doubles for the wife.

Maybe waste a little material a try a built in cant

Edited by angus6