Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm load

Jan R.

Hi I'm a beginner and am looking for some help to start reloading 9mm. I have Montana Gold 124gr JHP, IMR 4756 and CCI small rifle primers. I was thinking of starting with 4.9 grains and 1.090 C.O.L.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

Since you're a beginner, I hope I can be the first one to suggest that you get a reloading manual or two. Also, 9mm loads use small pistol primers, not small rifle. You may see people on here using small rifle for specialized loads, but if you have not loaded before, you definitely won't be developing any kind of load like that anytime soon.

Get a manual, start at the starting load and work up.

I use Montana Gold 124gr JHP with 4.3 grains of Universal Clays and (Federal or Winchester primers based on availability). OAL is set to 1.093 and I am getting around 1075 fps. It's a great managable load with low recoil for any 5 inch gun and yet enough to be over SSP or ESP power factor.

If you have small rifle use em. I have not been able to tell a significant difference across the chrono. I interchange them all the time.

If I had a load I used for 9x19 minor I would gladly share it with you but I don't.

So I will give you this advice instead and I mean it in the nicest way.

If you scroll down there is a thread on reloading, in it you will find a category for 9mm/38 cal. It is full of info.

Also you might try running a search for the components you are wanting to use say like"9mm with 124 gr bullet" and see where it gets ya.

I hope this helps ya find what you are looking for.

Mildot

I got all my reloading "beginner" info here, and from the powder manufacturer's websites. Both good resources.

Do an extensive search in the reloading forum for 9mm. LOTS of info.

Small rifle primers may or may not work with your gun, based on your striker spring. I load small pistol magnum primers right now, since I got a bunch during the shortage. They chrono NO differently from standard small pistol in MINOR loads, with no pressure issue or ignition issues in my M&P.

Shooting MINOR, the hotter primers should not pose a safety issue, since the pressures are so low. They will only pose a reliability issue, since they are hard to ignite. They are (often)designed around the AR platform, where the firing pin smacks the primer (softly) when a round is chambered, so the are a bit tougher to set off. If you're shooting a Glock with a lightened striker, they may suck...

In general... start at the LOW end ofthe manufacturer's data, and chrono your way up to 130ish Power Factor for minor.

Jeff

Sierra lists a max of 6.0gr with a 125 JHP and a slightly shorter OAL. IMR shows a max of 6.3gr with a 125gr FMJ (no OAL given). Since an FMJ normally uses less case volume than a JHP, it makes sense that the max is .2 higher than the Sierra data. CCI SR primers aren't the best choice for a Minor load, but they should work just fine. Keep an eye on the breachface around the firing pin hole, especially when you first start using them. The only real danger from small rifle primers in a pistol cartridge is if the pressure isn't high enough and hot gas leaks around the primer (because it hasn't been sealed by pressure) and erodes the breachface in a circular pattern. I've chronographed the identical load with both small pistol and small rifle primers and the difference is usually less than 15fps more for the small rifle...very minor change, and not enough to cause any sort of pressure problems if something else isn't already wrong. R,

Also, 9mm loads use small pistol primers, not small rifle.

The load he's suggesting will probably run something like 25K PSI. Switching to small rifle isn't going to raise the pressure enough to cause any problems and it should be enough to seal the primer to prevent erosion around the firing pin hole.

You may see people on here using small rifle for specialized loads, but if you have not loaded before, you definitely won't be developing any kind of load like that anytime soon.

You would know this how? Small hint, absolutes like "definitely" aren't your friend ;)

Lots of folks are using small rifle primers in normal (non Major) loads and have for years....probably more now with shortages still being a problem.

i would look for older reloading books, they have some of the best data.

Pressure testing techniques and equipment have gotten better and more accurate. I don't see why older reloading books would have anything but less accurate data. They certainly weren't written with as much precise data as current manuals are. R,

Thank you for all of your replies!

Brian, this is an excellent forum and you are a real credit to the shooting sports! The link you posted directs me to a short thread on holsters...an oversight I'm sure! I'd love to see the reloading thread.

I should have been more clear...while I am new to handgun reloading, I have reloaded tens of thousands of shot loads. I have also used the search feature on this and other forums. I posted the question to see if by chance someone was using the same components. I have a library of reloading texts both new and old.

Again, I thank all of you who took the time to reply and I will be sure to post my data when I test my loads.

Jan

Hi I'm a beginner and am looking for some help to start reloading 9mm. I have Montana Gold 124gr JHP, IMR 4756 and CCI small rifle primers. I was thinking of starting with 4.9 grains and 1.090 C.O.L.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

Also check this excellent resource thread.

be

can you re-link the 9mm resource thread. Goes to a limcat thread.