Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Shell Reloading for 3-Gun

goat68

What size bird shot are folks using for 3-gun shells?

I've been out of the sport for about 9 years for various reasons and back then the local matches had a minimum shot size of #6. It seems that now a lot of the matches are calling for #6 to be the largest shot size allowed? I typically run 3 1/2 dram, 1 1/4 oz, #4 shot. (too chicken to drill out the 3 in mag 1100)

Thanks

Gerald

Most around here are using 7 1/2 or 8. For matches I use factory 2 3/4 dram equiv. with 7 1/2. For practice I use reloads at about 2 3/4 or 3 dram equiv. and 7 1/2. I do take #4 shot with me to matches in case there is some steel that might be hard to take down.

It used to be that most everyone was using 00 or #4 buck then it went to a max. size of #2. Now it seems most places put a max of either #4 or #6 shot.

What size bird shot are folks using for 3-gun shells?

I've been out of the sport for about 9 years for various reasons and back then the local matches had a minimum shot size of #6. It seems that now a lot of the matches are calling for #6 to be the largest shot size allowed? I typically run 3 1/2 dram, 1 1/4 oz, #4 shot. (too chicken to drill out the 3 in mag 1100)

Thanks

Gerald

I usually load #4-#6 for most 3gun targets (whatever is available), have some #9 loaded for those clays-only stages, and always carry hi brass #4, lowrecoil 00, and lowrecoil slugs.

jj

• 1 month later...

I run 1oz 7 1/2 at 3 1/4 dram thru a non magnum 1100, 2 3/4 with 26 inch barrel. Also do the same load with 6's for a little more pellet energy. I run a modified choke 95% of the time.

Federal low recoil slugs also run great thru this gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just starting to reload shotshells and my plan is this:

1-1/8 OZ #6 shot at about 1300FPS for steel.

1-1/4 OZ #8 shot at about 1300FPS for birds.

Small volume stuff. I'm trying Longshot powder to start.

My main reason is it's too Damn expensive to buy these type of shells so it should pay for itself eventually.

I got a used Mec 600 JR for under $100.

I used to use Light target in 7.5-9 shot size for steel up to birds but last year I got my ass handed to me by the steel at the FNH 3-gun match.

This year I'll be using super handicap AAs mainly unless my reloads turn out to work better.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the posts.

I just started reloading smaller shot for steel. I use to load only #4 hunting loads for steel but now a lot of matches are limiting shot size to #6. The #4 really knocks the heck out of steel and kind of does a decent job on flying clays. I've always had to reload since I shoot an 1100 without the extra gas port. I've been too shy to drill the second hole.

I'm also now trying some spreader wads but haven't tried them in a match yet.

I use 7.5 because thats what I use for shooting at birds in September. I get the most advantage from reloading slugs not the shot. You can down load them quite a bit and they will still make it through paper.

• 3 weeks later...

I use 7.5 because thats what I use for shooting at birds in September. I get the most advantage from reloading slugs not the shot. You can down load them quite a bit and they will still make it through paper.

Are you using a roll crimp or a fold crimp on the slugs? I've seen some folks use the fold crimp and mark the hulls all up so they know they are slugs and not shot. Kind of scarry if you ask me.

Are the roll crimps hard to form?