Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Juniors

Lee Dimaculangan

I'm not sure if theres a post/topic on our Juniors yet, so here it goes. Share your stories on how you got started and where you are now.

My name is Lee Dimaculangan and I'm a 17 yr old shooter from Houston, Tx. I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of the other juniors in Area 4 and Area 2. I'm nobody big like Chris Tilley or KC Eusebio, but I would definitely like to hear from other junior shooters out there who's into this sport as much as I am.

Practical shooting was introduced to me in the middle of 2001, when a range officer at the shooting range asked me to try out one of the matches. So i tried it, and was instantly hooked on it. Initially I had teacher who was a GM in open show me the ropes. I started out with a para p-16 and classified @ C class. Within a few months I was bumped up to B where I was stuck the longest. Then made A class after the 2002 Area 4 match. Next I shot the Tx Limited winning 3rd A and high junior. A month later I made Master class and won 1st M and high junior in both Space City and in Tx Limited.

My plan was to make GM first... but seeing how most of the junior pros made GM in open first, I figured I would make the transition. From unclassified I made M class 2 months ago and now training my butt off until the next major match season. My short term goal is to do well in the 2004 area matches and nationals. I can only hope to try out for the Army Shooting Team in 2005, but with my hectic school/shooting schedule - it might be difficult.

As of now it's still warm in Texas, so shooting is still pretty active down here. I hope to hear from other juniors out there, and everyone elses' thought on us :) .

Good Luck to everyone and Merry Christmas =]

Yo guys, I'm Jake Di Vita...bet you couldn't have guessed that one.

I'm 19 and began shooting around two and a half years ago in Michigan. I started with IDPA and began shooting IPSC around the beginning of 2002...I think. I've been shooting mostly Production with the occasional venture into Limited, but have decided to stay with Production until I nail a GM card...whether that be 1 year or 20 years. ;)

Currently Master in SSP, and A in Production...although my goal is to get Master by the Jan 2004 update.

I can't really think of much more to say...any questions (I doubt there will be B) ) let me know. :D

First off I'm 18years old, it all started when I was at a local sporting goods store when I picked up a brochure on a Sporting Association. So I showed it to my dad who was also interested but we did not know much about handguns only hunting rifles and just moved from a heavly populated city to a more rural area so new things were available to do. Anyway I talked my dad into buying a pistol (G-17) and we took the Basic NRA pistol course then found out about IDPA I started shooting that. My first match was the second time I ever shot a handgun it was always natural to me I started to really get into it and win. Then I found USPSA wow I am I hooked now. This is my second year shooting. I am really happy I took a look at that brochure.

Hey guys, names Kevin Siddle, I'm 19, and in Charleston, IL (Area 5). Just recently getting back into shooting although it has always been a passion. Before this I was very serious into airsoft, and own my own retail company. I use airsoft in my training a lot, and it has helped leaps and bounds. In the next few weeks I'll be taking my first steps into uspsa and I know I'll love it, as I have been following the sport for a few years. I've had some very good teachers and an unsurpassable amount of shooting knowledge at my fingertips. And that's a wrap.

KS

You guys have any interest in getting your own Forum here? A place where you can yak it up about fund-raising, the Juniors program, etc.? Since there seems to be several good, young shooters that are regulars here now, maybe it's time to build a Juniors knowledge base.

Whaddaya think?

One thing that was brought up by a friend of mine was lowering the price for juniors @ nationals in 2004. If changes in prices are too late maybe there can be some type of fundraising.

I remember in Max's forum how its hard enough getting juniors to shoot major matches to make the junior team (because of school), but to spend a begeezus-load of money not for just the shooter, but the parent that has to accompany each one of us. Eh just a thought, would like to hear everyone's opinion on the matter.

Happy Holidays everyone :D

tightloop, I looked into your info, and says you're from houston. Do you ever shoot any of the club matches?

I'll be at the c.l.a.s.s. match tomorrow morning and eddies' 521 practice match on sunday @ bailey's.

And as for the fundraising, I'm not sure how to initiate any in a large scale - especially since not many juniors shoot in the area. But maybe propose junior matches where a % of a match price goes towards lowering major match costs (if not already lowered) ... i mean even if $1 per shooter ... that a heck of a lot when added up.

not sure where these ideas are going, but just some off the top of my head.

- Lee

Don't let Lee fool you alot of older guys were glad he move to open. It gives us older guys a chance. Maybe I'll finally move out of C class.

My daughter will be shooting the 2004 season with me in Houston, San Antonio and Corpus Christi. I know what the added cost will be. Not just match fees, but double ammo cost.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

"Juniors' scheduling problems will be accomodated where practical"

What does that mean?

Realizing that most juniors have to go to school full time, it probably means they'll let them shoot as much as possible on the weekends to minimize time away from school. I missed the first 2-3 weeks of high school to attend the Nationals, and I guess they're trying help keep the kids in class.

Juniors will shoot for free, when accompanied by a paying adult, at the 2004 Area 5 Tournament.  How is that for a deal? :P

Ya I know that. But what about the NATs? How are they going to make my scheduling problems work? Because of the statment made in the last Frontsite does not explain anything. "Juniors' scheduling problems will be accomodated where practical" What does this mean?

i assume e-mail mike voigt and explain your schedule...

if im not mistaken his e-mail is president@uspsa.org ? check uspsa.org to find out his e-mail

how i understood it was that when you send in your entry form you include which days you can shoot... but also at a reasonable day... im saying is that we can't skip that entire week of nationals... and only come for the last 2 days for a shoot through - rather.. miss 2 days of school (instead of 5) . practical?

so long as our requests are reasonable? maybe 1 junior squad? i dont know

see ya at nats.