Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Juniors

Lee Dimaculangan

G34...

Did you mean to say - shoot with people who have the same vertical distance from the ground to top of your ball cap?!!! :lol: What class are you shooting in this year? Rumors are that you have a new "old fart" gun! Your not giving up the edge you've worked so hard to get with the grock ru?

xxx

Awwwww, c'mon Lee, just say it. It's not as much fun to shoot with old farts as it is with people closer to your own age

Heyyyyyy, I resemble that remark. No milk 'n' cookies for you guys tonight. Now go to your rooms, lights out and no TV or video games for a week.

Of course I'd rather just spank you but, dammit, I'd never catch you :(

Awwwww, c'mon Lee, just say it. It's not as much fun to shoot with old farts as it is with people closer to your own age :P:D.

HEY BOY!

You better be careful about who you call old farts. You know one of those keeps you and those guns fed! :rolleyes:

Your desires are quite ambitious G34.....may the force be with your milk and cookies! Just remember, I don't want to hear any snibbles or mumbles when the older generation open a can of whoopazz with guns that have iron sights.

Just curious but who has the biggest food habbit? You or the gun!!!

hahahaha, BJ ur still 14 - dont be calling them old farts - you'll be like them some day... i shouldn't be talking im 17 <_< . no matter what class the older guys are, they still possess so much wisdom and knowledge that any bit helps... it adds up to what you already know... and bj when u turn into an "old fart" you'll be giving them little brats tips as well.

As for myself, ill be shooting M open @ area 3 - hope that that doesn't go anywhere (like it will) - i still need a lotttt of practice, if you guys ever shoot down in texas south section, let me know... theres like 2 matches every weekend, and im sure ill catch ya at one of em =]

Lee Dimaculangan

"no matter what class the older guys are, they still possess so much wisdom and knowledge that any bit helps... it adds up to what you already know... and bj when u turn into an "old fart" you'll be giving them little brats tips as well."

That is the BEST brown nosing job I've heard in a long time.:P

Hi guys,

I can confirm that to qualify as a Junior for World Shoot, the applicable IPSC category rule is:

Appendix A2: 3b. Junior - Competitors who are under the age of 21 on the first day of the match.

There was, as usual, considerable discussion on this subject, and we even conducted an email survey of IPSC regions worldwide, but we finally decided to stick to 21 because it was the most "inclusive" and least "exclusive" cut-off age. Apart from the USA and another 1 or 2 regions (e.g. in my region Hong Kong, it's 14), the legal age to either handle or own a firearm is 21, so any lower cut-off age would've restricted the number of qualified competitors and severely narrowed the field.

Age categories are always a difficult one to resolve (even for Seniors). Clearly, all else being equal, an 18 year old has an edge over a 13 year old and, at the other end of the spectrum, a 52 year old fart has an edge over a 59 year old fart (and I'm making notes who's calling us "old farts").

Of course being an absolutely brilliant (yet modest) rule writer (!!), I know the solution, however I haven't been able to sell it during the last three rule reviews, but I'll keep plugging away (I've gotta fix this before I turn 50, dude). I'd like to see a "sliding scale" age break in the category only (not the Division), whereby we give a 1% "bonus" for every year you are over (or under) the Junior or Senior cut-off point.

For example, if a 16 year old scored 123 match points and a 19 year old scored 125 match points, their standings in their Division would not change but the 16 year old would have a 3% "bonus" and the 16 year old (now with an "adjusted" 126.69 match points) would beat the 19 year old in the category only. In an extreme example, a 12 year old would get a 9% "bonus" over a 21 year old in the category only. For Seniors, you'd get a 1% "bonus" for each year you're over 50, so a 60 year would get a 5% "bonus" over a 55 year old in the category only. My formula is not very scientific but it "feels" right to me, and 1% per year makes the calculation easy.

And it wouldn't require rocket science to calculate the "bonus". We just need to tweak the scoring program to ask for your DOB if you register as a Junior or a Senior and, bingo-bango, the computer would do all the grunge work.

My other project is the Fat Bastards © category which is based on a 1% per lb calculation. I did some tests comparing me with Eric Grauffel and, well, I whupped his ass at the last World Shoot.

:ph34r:

I know the age for IPSC is still 21, however my own feelings are that if USPSA is going to send a Junior team, it should be made up of USPSA Juniors. If you want to get nitty gritty, you could say that since anybody over 18 is not competing in Junior category, they are not earning points toward the Junior team and they aren't really in the running for a spot on the team due to the point system put in place by USPSA.

Just for the record, I think Junior should be 21.

BJ,

I was only explaining IPSC rules, not making a comment on USPSA Juniors Team selection. I was also making a note of who made "old farts" comments and your name currently appears first in my Little Black Book. You will be punished. Some place. Some day.

Und I'm vatching you wwerrrrrry closely mein liddle vipper-schnapper. BWA-HA-HA.

From how I understand it....

If you are shooting USPSA - then UNDER 18 is JUNIOR

If you are shooting IPSC - then UNDER 21 is JUNIOR

But for the junior team - you have to be UNDER 21 ... so lets say you shoot nationals this year.. .and you're 18 already... you will be considered adult, but your match score will count towards the uspsa junior team selection.... just that you won't be awarded that category in USPSA.