Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saul Kirsch's New Holster

ahtsay

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I order one for a plastic STI do I automatically get the short model until those run out or how does that work? (I'd prefer the short model)

How can you tell if you received one of the "RM shorty" models or a standard production model? I know you said that the holster body is 9mm shorter (about 3/8"), but what is the overall length of the standard production model? Thanks!

I hope CED did not get the RM shorty as the two I ordered from them, for STI's, are going to be used for a Glock as well, with the seperate block insert of course.

Not to worry. CED did not get any of the shorty model. they wanted to maintain full flexibility with all gun types, so they received only the full length ones.

Saul

How can you tell if you received one of the "RM shorty" models or a standard production model? I know you said that the holster body is 9mm shorter (about 3/8"), but what is the overall length of the standard production model? Thanks!

Don't have the dimensions on me now, as I am home. but - not to worry - no one gets the Shorty model unless he specifically asks for it, or confirmed to us that he wants it. All normal orders who had no contact with us about this option will have the "normal" model. All orders placed with CEDDAA.com or CEDhk.com or any of the US dealers CED supplies, like Shootersconnection will have only the normal full size models shipped. we are sending the shorty only to those who confirm they want it - or those who order it. we have this shorty model now as a model type on our website.

hope this is clear enough,

thanks

saul

PS - some bad news. Darn UPS have lost a shipment of CZ SP01 inserts sent to us from our supplier, which was due a few days ago... we started a trace, but still no news. this is bad, as those inserts took 3 weeks to make and cost plenty. if they are lost it means the CZ model will be delayed, but, I am still hoping it will be found and show up tomorrow or early next week.

saul

I ordered a Glock holster from CEDDAA and would like to use it with my large frame G21 too eventually. Will the regular Glock insert work for both large and small frame Glocks? If not, will there be an insert available for the large frame glocks and when do you think it would be available? Thanks.

I ordered a Glock holster from CEDDAA and would like to use it with my large frame G21 too eventually. Will the regular Glock insert work for both large and small frame Glocks? If not, will there be an insert available for the large frame glocks and when do you think it would be available? Thanks.

Hi,

I am not sure that the glock 21 is a problem... I will need to check on that - not sure about the dimensions of the trigger guard on that one. the glock, by the way, raises some interesting problems. I have recently found that there are huge variations in the dimensions of the front section of the trigger guards, even amongst the same model glock, and certainly between various models. This is due, I presume, to the fact that Glock must have several molds for some of there guns, which makes sense as they make so many guns...

So -we have keept the dimensions tight on the locking tooth of the holster - if we did not - the smaller dimensions gun would rock around... it is possible that when you try your glock you will find the locking tooth is too tight on your trigger guard. this can be customized to fit well within a couple of minutes using a file or a dremel. I will post a clip this week showing how to do this adjustment.

This stands true also for someone who has an STI holsters and wishes to use it with an SPS frame - as that frames trigger guard is just a fraction larger than the STI. Also true for using the CZ SP01 holster with a tactical sport. It can work - but just requires a little fine tuning, which we will explain this week on line.

thanks.

saul

Hi,

I am not sure that the glock 21 is a problem... I will need to check on that - not sure about the dimensions of the trigger guard on that one. the glock, by the way, raises some interesting problems. I have recently found that there are huge variations in the dimensions of the front section of the trigger guards, even amongst the same model glock, and certainly between various models. This is due, I presume, to the fact that Glock must have several molds for some of there guns, which makes sense as they make so many guns...

So -we have keept the dimensions tight on the locking tooth of the holster - if we did not - the smaller dimensions gun would rock around... it is possible that when you try your glock you will find the locking tooth is too tight on your trigger guard. this can be customized to fit well within a couple of minutes using a file or a dremel. I will post a clip this week showing how to do this adjustment.

This stands true also for someone who has an STI holsters and wishes to use it with an SPS frame - as that frames trigger guard is just a fraction larger than the STI. Also true for using the CZ SP01 holster with a tactical sport. It can work - but just requires a little fine tuning, which we will explain this week on line.

thanks.

saul

Thank you for the reply,

I didn’t realize there was that much variation between identical models. Interesting. I did end up measure the trigger guard width on my G35 and G21 last night. I will have to verify this when I get home but I recall the G35 was 15.54mm[.612in] and the G21 was 16.08mm[.633in], strangely arbitrary measurements. Are there any other measurements you’d like to see?

It looks like I would need a different insert for both small and large frame Glocks unless I wanted to cut on the frame. Do you think a large frame glock insert can be made from a small frame one despite the .53mm[.021in] difference in width?

Thanks.

Hi,

thanks.

saul

Thank you for the reply,

I didn’t realize there was that much variation between identical models. Interesting. I did end up measure the trigger guard width on my G35 and G21 last night. I will have to verify this when I get home but I recall the G35 was 15.54mm[.612in] and the G21 was 16.08mm[.633in], strangely arbitrary measurements. Are there any other measurements you’d like to see?

It looks like I would need a different insert for both small and large frame Glocks unless I wanted to cut on the frame. Do you think a large frame glock insert can be made from a small frame one despite the .53mm[.021in] difference in width?

Thanks.

the critical dimension is not so much the width of the trigger guard, but rather the thichness of the front section of it - the forward area where some shooters might rest them support index finger. that is where are locking system grips the gun, and that is where the fit needs to be very precise. try to measure the thickness there and see how close it comes. measure from the outside front end to the inner edge, should measure a few mm, maybe 4 or 5... see how close the guns are to one another.

saul

Used my RM yesterday! All I can say is that

its the best holster I have used to date.

Holdes the gun very secure when locked, and

releases from the locked position every bit

as quick as my Ghost or CR speed. Very easy

to use and I think the looks have that great

"bling" that most of us want.

Before the match started many of the shooters

looked and commented about it. May be the only

down side of things on the RM is the tension of

the locking block, just could not get it tight

enough. Drawing from any position,when locked,

worked just fine! I am a lock freek,so it stayed

locked at all times while in the ready position!

Gun draw is "up" and out not "forward" and out

like most other holsters I have used. Unlocked

the gun can not be hit from the mag well end and

be pushed out- it has to be drawn up just a short

amount to clear the locking block! This alone is

a great feature.

We-I- have a winner here. Thanks Saul and crew

for all the hard work on this one! :cheers::bow:

May be the only

down side of things on the RM is the tension of

the locking block, just could not get it tight

enough.

Well, at least mine isn't the only one like that. It's boxed up ready to go to a new owner, hopefully at the next match. And I had such high hopes :( R,

I posted this earlier...has anyone else had a problem with smacking their knuckle on the block during the draw? I have adjusted and moved things but it appears the only answer is to perform a relief cut on the block. I don't really want to do that.

the critical dimension is not so much the width of the trigger guard, but rather the thichness of the front section of it - the forward area where some shooters might rest them support index finger. that is where are locking system grips the gun, and that is where the fit needs to be very precise. try to measure the thickness there and see how close it comes. measure from the outside front end to the inner edge, should measure a few mm, maybe 4 or 5... see how close the guns are to one another.

saul

I measured them last night and front section thickness (front to rear) of the large frame Glock is about .25mm[.010in] thicker than my G35 from parting line to parting line. The profile of the distal section of the trigger guard (where the serrations are) seems to be the same.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this earlier...has anyone else had a problem with smacking their knuckle on the block during the draw? I have adjusted and moved things but it appears the only answer is to perform a relief cut on the block. I don't really want to do that.

Yep. Came to same conclusion (dremel). I would redesign this lock similar to ghost (inside) or guga (low profile). Seems like inferior design to me. Another problem (for me) - when locked, it is extremaly easy to accidentally unlock, eg. when grabbing the gun while stage walkthroughing. Since there is very little resistance, I have not even noticed - and went on thinking my gun was securely locked. On the upside, it makes a locked draw very easy and fast.

Also I had the tension screw falling out several times. It seems to be too short, and there is too little of the thread catching on the screw. If I put the tension on, so the screw would be more inside, then the draw was too heavy. Ended up loosing the original tension spring when it ejected out in the grass, so had to fabricate one from a recoil spring. Actually, I managed to make a better one than the factory, it is shorter and allows me to have the screw more inside, while keeping the tension fairly low.

ALso, like Guga, this does not entirely work with STI aluminium grips, i.e grip sits too deep, so I can not obtain proper grip below the triggerguard. Ended up filing off quite a chunk of the holster, which became better, but a plastic grip sits in this holsters much more conveniently.

Otherwise great holster. Finally feel my holstered gun is tightly in!

Thanks for the reply...I thought I might be the only one.

DAA seemed to answer all other questions but never got to mine. I mentioned it a few times but just heard crickets in return.

Holster is up for sale.

I should have my DAA RM for my SIG X-5 tomorrow. They tried to deliver it today but I wasn't home. I am interested to see how it works out.

Bigpops, what part of the block are you busting your knuckles on??

Nice write-up Dave...as usual.

Staudacher - The back edge of the holster body smacks my knuckle on my middle finger during the draw. While comparing the DAA to my Ghost I see it is due to the amount of material on the DAA holsters top area. I really like the holster but the only way it will work for me is if I can remove some material to allow my knuckle to slide in.

My Ghost is working fine and I don't really want to booger up a brand new holster. Besides, and I asked this before, I am not sure if I could even remove material on the DAA as it may have a hollow core.

My Ghost is working fine and I don't really want to booger up a brand new holster. Besides, and I asked this before, I am not sure if I could even remove material on the DAA as it may have a hollow core.

You know you can take the insert out, right? Very easy to determine if you could remove what you wanted to remove and if it would affect the function of the holster...

Makes me wonder what your draw motion looks like, though, and how you have your holster set up - but in order to bring the top size down to that of a Ghost, I don't think you'd have to pull much off of it... I don't have a Ghost laying around to compare to, though...

Thanks Dave. My draw motion is fine. Others have tried drawing with my gun (the Pro SX) in the holster and have experienced the same thing. It could be the undercut or the grip/trigger shape. Either way it's the gun that I shoot so that wont change.

I am to the point now "if it’s not broke don't fix it"...so the Ghost will stay.

Besides...Turtle wants it!