Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR10 for Heavy Metal

Revopop

First off, let me day that I've yet to shoot my first 3 gun match, though that'll change this spring. I've got a 20" AR in .223 that I built up for Tac Optics over the winter, but I still just have a pump shotgun. I also really like shooting my single stack, so I'm thinking about Heavy Metal as well. I'd like to try a couple different divisions and stick with the one I like best.

I don't have a .30 caliber rifle of any kind, so I'm starting from scratch. There's plenty of info here about different configurations of AR15s, but not much about AR10s. Obviously, it has to run, but that's about all I know. I'm not totally convinced I want an AR10 over an M1A, but it would help if I knew more about which AR10s I should be looking at. The only ones I've handled were a DPMS with a heavy 24" barrel which seemed way to long and heavy and a DPMS Sportical which seemed to light and I didn't like the flimsy adjustable stock on it.

FWIW, while I haven't shot there yet, I'm told that the stages in Owensboro where I'll be shooting most of the time tend to be 100 yards or less but with a lot of tight shots.

Any He-Men out there, please share what configuration you shoot and why you like it.

Same as an iron sight AR, 20" .750 barrel, A1 or A2 stock, floating fore end tube, and front sight mounted on the muzzle, the trouble is you can't really buy one that way, it has to be built. The easiest way to get into HM is to get a "loaded" M1A with a medium heavy barrel and go shoot, or the DPMS LR 308C, and then just swap out the fore end tube.

trapr

You have heard from Trapr who is one of the Top Heavy Metalist that the M1A is a good choice. It would also be my recommendation.

p705071538-3.jpg

p972348793-3.jpg

The rifle pictured is a Springfield Armory 22" NM

Understand that FAL's and AR10's in the right hands win as well so pick what suits you.

That said, I don't think any one rifle has won more HM division titles than the M1A.

Patrick

I have no issues, with the AR 308 except that I have yet to use 100% reliable 20 rd. mags, (I have no experience with the magpuls). But when the standard 20 round mags get shot empty, they have a tendency to malfunction at round number 18, 19, or 20........This is simply not acceptable, this is not an issue with M1A mags!!!!!

Accuracy is not the issue, reliability,.....................IS!!!!! My Jp LRP is scary accurate, but the mags keep me from trusting it 100%. Reliability is much more important than extreme accuracy, a 2moa rifle is plenty accurate for this game, but an unreliable extremely accurate one is useless.

trapr

I will "third" the M1A. If Kurt was here, it would be a fourth. I have tried the FAL, G3, M1A, and just picked up a RRA LAR-8 in .308, but none of them offer anything the M1A doesn't. With iron sights, sight radius is king, and the .308 AR can't compete. The M1A has less felt recoil than any other comparable rifle due to less reciprocating mass. Now that Smith Enterprises offers a front sight base that's threaded 5/8" adding a comp of your choice is easy. GOOD mags are cheap, thanks to CMI. Like Trapr said, buy a Loaded and you're ready to rock.

I've shoot almost all of the 3 gun matches at Owensboro and you're right, they can't get over 100 yards. I've never shot a stage that I felt the 22" barrel of the M1A handicapped me, but I've shot plenty of stages at 250 yards + that I was glad I had the long barrel.

I am no top shooter, but I have an Armalite AR10. It is a 20" standard A2. I can put a scope on it and shoot 3/4" 100yd groups with good ammo. I have used Armalite mags and modified M14 mags without reliability issues (M14 mags won't lock the bolt open on the last shot though). The only issue that I have had with it is that with JP springs in the trigger group, it will not ignite some foreign surplus ammo 100%. I am still working on this issue. I made a hammer from an AR15 hammer and helped this issue (went from 90% to about 98% in the limited number of rounds that I have fired). I am going to play with the firing pin spring next. All in all, I am happy with my Armalite. I would be happy with a good M1A also, I just don't have one right now.

Hurley

First off, let me day that I've yet to shoot my first 3 gun match, though that'll change this spring. I've got a 20" AR in .223 that I built up for Tac Optics over the winter, but I still just have a pump shotgun. I also really like shooting my single stack, so I'm thinking about Heavy Metal as well. I'd like to try a couple different divisions and stick with the one I like best.

I don't have a .30 caliber rifle of any kind, so I'm starting from scratch. There's plenty of info here about different configurations of AR15s, but not much about AR10s. Obviously, it has to run, but that's about all I know. I'm not totally convinced I want an AR10 over an M1A, but it would help if I knew more about which AR10s I should be looking at. The only ones I've handled were a DPMS with a heavy 24" barrel which seemed way to long and heavy and a DPMS Sportical which seemed to light and I didn't like the flimsy adjustable stock on it.

FWIW, while I haven't shot there yet, I'm told that the stages in Owensboro where I'll be shooting most of the time tend to be 100 yards or less but with a lot of tight shots.

Any He-Men out there, please share what configuration you shoot and why you like it.

Tate Moots would be a GREAT guy to get input from on this issue. :cheers:

Quick story on the M1.

I used one of mine in a rifle side match a couple years ago at a local club. It was a long course, about 28 rounds, and 3/4 of the way through my run the op rod jumped the track and came off the bolt. I dropped to my knees, took off the stock, remounted the op rod, put it all back together and finished the stage.

I did all that and still wasn't last! :)

The Garand isn't as slow as it might seem. More than 10 round relays are not all that common, and they are faily easy to reload, albeit never as fast as a magazine. The added benefit is that when you beat bottom feeders, you feel awesome. ;)

Not to mention a comp'd .30-06 is gonna be the loudest on the range.