Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter

kgwld1

Well I think I'm going to take the plunge. I'm new to guns in general as of last may never even shot a gun. I have purchased since the a Kahr pm9, keltec p3at, Sig mosquito, Glock 19, Glock 26, and .22 conversions for the Glocks. I have also purchased a Remington 870 tactical, and a Smith and Wesson m&p AR 15.

I've taken quite a few classes from ice to black water to local classes. I have also purchased a Hornaday lock and load progressive press before I found this site and reload the calibers I have 9mm, .380, .223.

I Have a bunch of holsters from crossbred, comptac, Mitch Rosen etc. belts and vests, and mag holders.

What do I need to get started I have found a local club trying now to get involved and join. I think I'm ready I just don't want to embarrass myself.

Sorry just don't know how are what when it comes to Idpa I'm doing. Any help would be great.

Kevin

Don't worry about being embarrassed. Everyone is new at one point.

Which gun is your holsters for? Of the bunch you listed, I'm guessing the Glock 19 is the one you'll be using.

Have you emailed the local club? Find out when their next match is and go watch, but bring your equipment. You'll probably end up shooting. Most people do.

Kevin,

Don't worry about embarrasing yourself. You're gonna learn a lot and have fun. Everybody was new once.

Show up with the gun you like to shoot most (The Glock 19 or 26 would be good choices to start with), 3 mags, strong side hip holster, ear and eye protection, and a few boxes of ammo. Pay attention to the new shooter briefing, and ask questions about anything that's not clear.

You're gonna love it!

Koski

Thanks for the replies....! Sorry I have holsters and extra mags for all the guns. I just purchased a set of the Pro gold ear protection I'll see how these work. I've become pretty proficient with target out to about 15 to 20 yards as I can pretty much tell where it ends up as I'm shooting it. I have plenty of ammo for all have about 5,000 for each caliber. I'm Located in Michigan and shoot about 400,500 rounds a week.

Come check out my club in Saline, MI: The Tri-County Sportsman's League. I am the assistant MD. Most of your questions can be answered from viewing the site, but feel free to PM me if you want more info. I'd love to have you come and join us. We are planning on running a few Intro to IDPA classes once the weather warms up. These classes are a great way to get over your "embarrassment". The entire class is made up of 6-10 new shooters and there is lots of one on one time with very experienced IDPA shooters and SO's.

:cheers: after buying many holsters, the wife & I agree we like the Galco yaqui for IDPA, Steel & 3 gun - drop the ruger 22 in the same holster the 1911's fit regardless of barrel length, makes for good practice.

It was tough getting the wife to step up to the plate for the first time, but after seeing me shoot good guys, shoot through good guys to trip a swinger & a host of other "funny COF errors" she overcame the fear of fumble & being laughed at :roflol: as long as you have fun it can't be all bad is my philosophy.

As a number of other very experienced IDPA shooters (some of whom are State or Regional champions) have already stated, don't worry about embarrasing yourself. You will only achieve that distinction if you assume you're going to hit the ground running... blaze away... and smoke all the top shooters. You won't smoke them, but you will run the risk of getting out of control and getting DQed for a safety violation. That's embarrassing! If you approach your first IDPA match as a learning experience... shoot at a pace that is within yourself, even if it seems much slower than the other shooters... ask questions of the SOs and experienced shooters (believe me, they're more than willing to help a new guy!)you'll have a lot of fun, learn a lot, and be on the road to being a much better shooter. Every one of us was a "new" IDPA shooter at some point in time, and can thank the experienced shooters for getting us onto the right track. It is a very enjoyable sport, populated by a lot of nice people. You'll have fun.

Chris Christian

Welcome to the forums! As GrumpyOne said, make liberal use of the Search feature and you'll find more than you could ever digest in a year. Flex has also provided some useful, specific links.

Hey, don't feel embarrassed. Even the Big Dogs mess up now 'n then. I "embarrassed" myself by winning a trophy at my very first shooting match... so, you never know. :D Good luck and have fun!

Welcome to the forums! As GrumpyOne said, make liberal use of the Search feature and you'll find more than you could ever digest in a year. Flex has also provided some useful, specific links.

Hey, don't feel embarrassed. Even the Big Dogs mess up now 'n then. I "embarrassed" myself by winning a trophy at my very first shooting match... so, you never know. :D Good luck and have fun!

I my experience I can shoot identical Master scores on the IDPA classifier with both the Glock 17 and the Glock 34. So, at least from and for me, the answer would be that no, it's not worth buying a Glock 34 - and I say that as someone who shot and carried a G34 for four years and absolutely loves the gun. There is, in overwhelming probability, nothing you can do with a Glock 34 that you can't do less expensively with a Glock 17 and have a gun that's easier to conceal.

My $0.02.