Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sight improvement

vluc

I shot our local club's IDPA classifier yesterday and noticed that the Meprolight sights I have on my SIG 225, while excelletn at night, do not give me the sight acquisition I have with the fiber optic on my Glock or even the front painted sight on my SIG 226.

I tried using "Brigh Sight" paint on the metal areas of the front sight available to be painted, but it just would not adhere the way it did when I painted the front sight on my 226.  There it was the dot itself, here, bare metal.

It's not that I cannot use the Meps.  I can, at the range for slow fire or practice they are excellent.  For IDPA, it just takes a fraction longer to get the alignment I want...yet I do like it when I shoot it in low light condiditions...those puppies light up like alien eyes at night!

So, is there a recommended other paint or am I weakening myself as a shooter with the reliance on having that bit of green to see when the front sight comes up?

vluc,

I'm not familiar with the "Mep" sights. You might not be inclined to mess with it, but, I've seen many benefit immediately from just getting some sight black and making the front and rear sights really good and flat black. Especially if they're patridge style sights - it's tough to beat.

be

If you use something reasonably removable, you can as Brian suggests, cover up the night sight and then clean off the blackening later.  Magic marker works pretty well, but is a bit shiny

Thanks to you both.  Intererestingly enough while driving to work this morning, coming over the mountains, one of the mountain tops was highlighted through a pass...just like a sight.  The two side ones were a little shrouded in fog, and I thought...wait!

Black out the two rear sights...just like I painted over the white bar on the rear of my 226 and let the front sight stand out!.  Black pasters work just fine!

Inspiration comes from bizarre places...if the two of you had not mentioned it, i was going to try that!

Hi, vluc.  I began to notice the same problem in my Glock (with Trijicons) when I started shooting my 1911 (with the newly installed FO sights.)  What I did to my Glock was black-out (actually, red-out ) the white outlines of the rear sights and lef the front as is. Unlike my 1911, I figured the Trij may not work well with an all black setup because the light bars are too narrow.  However, YMMV. Be safe.

vluc,

Have you tried firing your "night sights" at night or otherwise in darkness? I'm just thinking about your comment on how "they're great at night." In my experience that's really not the case. After the first shot those dots are GONE and useless.

Duane, I have fired them at night...went out with a local PD during an evening qualifier.  The rounds were flash suppressed (something in the powder I guess) and i was able to see the sights clearly after firing - if memory serves as that was a year or so ago when the Meps were on my 226.

i personally prefer black on black, and i have noticed that Most top shooters Do, although everyone goes through transitions, most that i have seen end up with black sights, as they are

1 never changing, low light, or bright light, they are still black, fiberoptic can change and for me it draws attention away from everything else.

2 more accurate, as you become more proficient you see exactly what your gun does and where the bullet goes.

3 i don't look at the "front" sight exactly any more, i just look as brian says, see everything, its no longer conscious to look directly at it. i think this is the biggest reason.

as for meps... i had a set on a G17 they sucked, and were nowhere near as rugged as the trijicon's dropped the gun and one capsule broke.. later dropped teh gun with trijicons on them numerous times. no problems...... and the white dots... just don't like the connect the dots theory. prefer bar-dot's from novak, or the strait eight's from heinie.

as for a target sight for your sig, heinie is the only way to go!