Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to install ambi safety on an AR-15

cbmax

All,

Can someone please post step by step instructions on how to replace a single sided safety with an ambi safety on an AR-15. I did look on AR-15 and have a basic concept, but they show you the process on a stripped lower. I need to do this on a completed rifle.

Please feel free to dumb this down as much as possible as I am by no means an accomplished gunsmith.

Thanks for all the help!

CB

1) Make sure your gun is clear.

2) Make sure your gun is clear again.

3) Remove the upper from the lower receiver.

4) With your thumb on the hammer use the trigger to release the hammer into its forward position.

5) Remove the grip from the lower. Be careful to capture the safety lever spring and retaining pin.

6)Once the safety lever is free to move around you should be able to pull it out of the left side of the receiver. Some wiggling may be necessary.

7) Reinsert the new ambi safety from the left side.

8) Reattach the grip with the spring and retaining pin.

9) Do several function checks to make sure the safety does not allow any movement of the trigger when it is in the on position.

10) Attach the right side safety lever.

That should get it done for you.

• 3 months later...

4) With your thumb on the hammer use the trigger to release the hammer into its forward position.

A note about step 4. On my CMMG lower (and I'm guessing others), you can't have the hammer released and be able to remove the safety. You actually have to have the gun cocked which lowers the trigger assembly out of the way. Other than that, great post.

Edited by FlyinRiz

Might be easier if you don't completely remove the grip. You only need to back off the bolt about 1/4". Once you pull the grip down enough that you have the detent spring clearly visible you should be able to remove the safety. Kinda makes sure you don't have a spring flying around the room and that you get the detent back in the proper orientation. Just a little easier at least to me.

I've actually seen some M-16 selectors worn to the point you could smack them with a nylon punch and replace'em without even loosening the pistol grip! :blink: This was usually caused by a cheap (other terms come to mind) armorer that tried fixing things by just replacing the detent. Popped new selector in by simply depressing the detent with the same nylon punch.

In AR-15's that are in spec, you can USUALLY remove the safety by loosening the pistol grip to the point the safety has very little tension on it, over-rotate it as though it were an M-16 selector and pushing it out. replace in reverse order, remembering to depress the detent with something to keep from shearing the top off of the detent.

Ken

• 1 year later...

6)Once the safety lever is free to move around you should be able to pull it out of the left side of the receiver. Some wiggling may be necessary.

Any advice for when this is impossible? I've got a Benny Hill rifle with a JP trigger, and the trigger seems to be blocking the lever from moving (both hammer back and forward). I'm VERY happy with this trigger and would REALLY like to not ruin it in the process of what seems like it should be a simple job.

Thanks,

--John.

John, Simply de-cock your hammer, then use a proper diameter brass or nylon punch and PUSH, don't smack, your hammer pin out. remove hammer, then repeat for the trigger. Take care to note the orientation of the springs, make sure you put'em back in the same way. remove the original safety lever, replace with new one, assemble in reverse order. AR's aren't all that complex, and very little to be afraid of except the 3 detents and their springs, they tend to go flying!

Ken

John, Simply de-cock your hammer, then use a proper diameter brass or nylon punch and PUSH, don't smack, your hammer pin out. remove hammer, then repeat for the trigger. Take care to note the orientation of the springs, make sure you put'em back in the same way. remove the original safety lever, replace with new one, assemble in reverse order. AR's aren't all that complex, and very little to be afraid of except the 3 detents and their springs, they tend to go flying!

Ken

While that sounds simple, I don't have the punches (yet) and I'm not confident of my ability to put the trigger parts back together while maintaining the careful tuning done by Mr. Hill. Seriously, this trigger barely moves, and I'd really like to keep it that way.

Know any good references to help me through this? Optimally, a friendly forum member who might be willing to supervise in return for, say, a few beers . . . but I'd settle for a video on Youtube or Brownells if I have to.

--John.