Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 40S&W

Rolex

I know I read here someplace about ramped barrel's in the

1911 .40S&W. Who produces the 1911 that has this barrel setup

in it when purchased? <_< It appears this is the setup to

buy in the 1911 SS .40S&W- Yes or No!

STI/SVI offer ramped bbls as do many others . . .

Many times a customer can specify their preference, either ramped or non ramped, when purchasing a pistol.

The advantage (generally) of a ramped bbl is the support to the case, as well as enhanced feeding.

If you are ordering a frame,and/or bbl, you will need to choose either the Wilson/Nowlin cut to the frame and corresponding bbl ramp, or the Clark/Para style.

My trusty old Kimber .45 is of the non- ramped sort, and my new STI Trojan is ramped in .40.

• 2 weeks later...

STI if you want the ramped. I have a custom SS by Fusion that has the traditional non-ramped and it has never been an issue though it can be a bit more picky about ammo. Factory loads were fine but my old LEE reloader couldn't quite make it happy. Since I have gotten a Dillon it doesn't seem to mind as long as I don't go too nuts with the OAL. Must admit though that my next one will probably be ramped.

My older pre-CZ Dan Wesson Pointman did not have a ramped barrel but mu STI Trojan and PO16-40 both have ramped barrels. I have not expereinced any issues in 40 S&W with ramped vs non-ramped barrels. My older pre-CZ Dan Wesson Pointman in 9mm also does not have a ramped bareel and is super reliable with FMJ's but has hiccups with JHP's and even the 147 gr. Rainier which has a flattened point.