Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading for Glock 34

redraider

I have been loading 9mm for about six months on a Dillon SDB for a G34 and a STI Trojan. Had some feed problems with the STI but they have gone away. The Glock has been worked on by Doug Jones (see the last two issues of Front Line) and he tightened the slide and recently installed Dawson FO adjustable sights. Use it for USPSA Production and IDPA SSP. The STI is for ESP and PPC. Problem is I am not achieving very good accuracy with my loads in the Glock (as opposed to the STI). Get better accuracy with WWB or UMC factory. Using bullseye powder and have tried 4.2 and currently 4.6 with 115 grain Montana Gold FMJ and an OAL of 1.135. I will likely place an order for the 124 grain MG CMJ since many people I shoot with report better accuracy with the larger bullet. Here is my long winded question. First, what gradations should I be using to play with OAL--i.e. currently use 1.135 and previously 1.155. Is is enough if I go down to 1.10 and then go to 1.120, 1.135, 1.145 and 1.155 or do I need more precise intervals? Also, do Glocks prefer any particular OAL? As far as powder I though I would go down to 4.2 and then .2 up to 4.8 (Max in manual is 4.9). I think I can make minor with 4.2. I then plan to do the same process with Titegroup and then with the 124 grain bullet. BTW do not seem to have any feeding or related problems with the loads. I know I have to experiment and play with the loads but it does get very confusing with all the information out there. Looking for a process so I can have a consistent measurement. Thanks for the patience and help.

Honestly if you're getting really horrible accuracy I doubt it's an OAL issue. I'd look at your crimp. Overcrimping ammo, so that the casing mouth bites into and deforms the bullet, is probably the most common cause of degraded accuracy in auto pistol handloads.

I'm with Duane on this. Crimp is often cause of accuracy problems. Sometimes though, some guns just don't like a particular bullet or powder. Sometimes. On glocks, I load as long as will feed through the magazines reliably. Can't remember offhand what the number is though. You will know if you load too long. Often they will fit ok at the top of the mag but when the mag is full, you may have feed trouble until you get several rounds fired out of the mag.

Keep at it, one day everything will just "be there" & you can be proud of working your way through the troubles.

MLM

I'm old school, Bullseye is a good .45ACP watch the bullet as it goes down range powder. I've found that it tends to pattern light 9MM bullets rather than group them. With the Glock 1.135 is the recommended OAL because of the magazine. A search in the 9mm reloading subforum will shows lots of loads with powders I absolutely hate and they probably don't like mine, W231.

We have about 12 shooter locally running the same recipe through their G34s with good results:

124 Precision Delta FMJ

3.8gr Titegroup

1.130" - 1.135" OAL

Makes about 1329-131 PF through a 34, is plenty accurate, and nice and soft. I shot 147s almost exclusively before switching to an M&P 9L, so I never shot groups through my 34 with 124s. But the 147s with 3.2TG at 1.130" were great. 3" or less at 24yds was normal, as long as you did your part.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in about the same situation as the OP.

I would like to add a question to his....er......questions......since this post has answered some of the ........um.........questions I've had.

What makes people decide between 115,124,125, and 147 gr bullets?

I've been loading and shooting 115s, but it seems that I notice more people shooting 124s and 147s in minor. Is there a reason?

BG

What makes people decide between 115,124,125, and 147 gr bullets?

I've been loading and shooting 115s, but it seems that I notice more people shooting 124s and 147s in minor. Is there a reason?

It all comes down to personal preference but, when it comes down to recoil perception (a very individual and not-easily-quantifiable measurement) most shooters will agree that, at the same Power Factor, the heavier bullet will produce a lighter "push" than a lighter bullet.

My G34 was indifferently accurate until I started using this load: 124 gr MG HP, 4.0 gr Titegroup, OAL 1.125". Very accurate in my pistol. I prefer the snappier recoil of the 124's to the softer push of 147's.

147gr bullets tend to have a 'push' feel to their recoil, ratherthan a 'snappy' recoil of 115's and 124's...

that being said, a load i cooked up for a friend who is shooting production out here and winning is a MG 147 CMJ over 3.8 grs of VV 3n37 OAL length is somewhere in the 1.135??? range??? dont have my notes in front of me, oh and you will more than likely have to re-spring the gun down to a 15 or even a 13lb spring to get it to run reliably in match situations(ie. less than ideal locked out positions)