Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gearing up for USPSA

Ray S

I already have a CR Speed Belt, Blade Tech IDPA Competition Pack, M&P .40 S&W, and 6 Magazines.

Here are my thoughts you all let me know what you think. I am looking at the Blade Tech Millennium SMP Mag pouch with the Tek-Lok, also how many would I need? As far as holster I was thinking of using my current Blade-Tech holster, and adding the DOH Tek-Lok for shooting USPSA.

Edited by Ray S

Four or five of your single mag pouches will work fine.

I still use two cheap Uncle Mike Kydex dbl mag holders for

Production. Same ones I've used weekly for almost 10 years.

They really don't look used. Must be good plastic. :)

Holster stuff is all good. I think you're in pretty good shape.

Wear out that M&P.

Jim

edited cuz I nodded off before I finshed

Edited by Jman

I already have a CR Speed Belt, Blade Tech IDPA Competition Pack, M&P .40 S&W, and 6 Magazines.

Here are my thoughts you all let me know what you think. I am looking at the Blade Tech Millennium SMP Mag pouch with the Tek-Lok, also how many would I need? As far as holster I was thinking of using my current Blade-Tech holster, and adding the DOH Tek-Lok for shooting USPSA.

You should have at least 4 mag pouches. Many people put their initial charge mag (with Barney round) in a pocket. A 5th mag pouch can be helpful for that sneaky 42 round stage. I'm a huge fan of Ready Tactical holsters and pouches. Check out http://cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm. One tip is to take a heat gun to warm up the mag pouches and with an insulated glove, insert a mag and press pouch around it. Makes a perfect fit every time. Also, I highly recommend taking some velcro and placing on the inside of the pouch to keep it extra snug on your belt. Shooting .40 in production can be fun, just make sure to build a soft load to take advantage of the extra bullet weight.

I think you're good to go. Just get one more double mag pouch so you can carry a total of four on the belt. Sounds like you've been shooting IDPA, but not so much USPSA. In that case, get the minimum gear to compete, attend a few matches, and see what the other Prodn shooters are using and go from there.

I'll put another vote for the Ready Tactical mag pouches out there....they rock. Still, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I like the RT's because I can easily fit five of them on my belt and not have them go around to my spine...and I'm waist space limited.

You can get away with four on the belt, but one more is a really good idea. I've seen two mags get knocked stripped out of someone's gear before (happened to me once). If that happens and you've still got 30 rounds on your belt you should be able to finish the stage. Even if you don't lose any, one malfunction where you drop the mag has you with no reserve.

Two significant things. One, the DOH, as supplied will not meet the 2" rule for USPSA. You'll have to put a washer or two between the holster body and the hanger (on the bottom screw) to get the but of the gun closer to your body. Mine was well over 2.25" and two washers got it to 1 7/8" at the most.

Two, get some of the M&P Compact basepads for your mags (Kenny at SSS carries them). They're 100% legal, and make reloading much, much, much easier than the full size pads...best of all, they're cheap! R,

Hello: I am a fan of the Safariland 771's for mag holders. The ones I am using are for STI/SVI mags. I use them for Glock 17 mags, CZ Shadow mags and even STI mags :cheers: They don't take alot of space on my belt( I have a 34" waist) and work great for me. They seem to release better than any other mag holders I've tried(very smooth). I have 6 mag holders but use 4 most of the time. I would get 2 more mags and use one holster setup for IDPA and USPSA. I use the Comp-Tac belt holster. Take a look at Shooters Connection or CPWSA since they have most of this stuff. Oh this is for Production/Limited 10, for Limited use only 3 mag holders. Thanks, Eric

I've gotten by with 4 mag pouches and my load and make ready mag in a pocket for years in production. 

As for the balde-tech single mag pouches, they are nicely built, but kind of wide for a single pouch. If you are a skinny guy, you might want to consider two doubles or singles with a smaller footprint. 

Absolute smallest footprint that works well are the one piece design like ready tactical has  ( http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Pistol_Mag_Pouch_p/rdt.103.htm ).  Good retention and pretty slick release. 

Actually getting ready tactical gear is a PITA very often, and someone else makes a similar version with a better belt loop/hook. But I can't for the life of me remember the name. 

G-ManBart would the basepads also still be legal for IDPA? Also would you mind posting a picture of what you are talking about on the holster?

I never thought about having a real estate issue, but I guess I should have thought about that having a 32 inch waist. Looks like I will be looking at the Ready Tactical pouches, and I will probably be getting 5 just to be on the safe side. raz-0 and ima45dv8 thanks for the info and links.

G-ManBart would the basepads also still be legal for IDPA? Also would you mind posting a picture of what you are talking about on the holster?

I never thought about having a real estate issue, but I guess I should have thought about that having a 32 inch waist. Looks like I will be looking at the Ready Tactical pouches, and I will probably be getting 5 just to be on the safe side. raz-0 and ima45dv8 thanks for the info and links.

Honestly, I'm not sure about whether the basepads would be legal for IDPA, but they take only a couple of seconds to switch, if they're not allowed.

I'm not sure how I'd get a picture as you can't really see what I'm talking about when the holster is assembled. I'll see if I can come up with a pic idea. To explain it a bit better, the holster is held to the hanger with two screws. All I did was loosen both screws, remove the bottom screw and put two thin washers in between the holster and the hanger, reinstall the bottom screw and tighten both (actually added a drop of blue loctite to both just in case). That makes the holster push less into your thigh and move the butt of the gun slightly towards your body, and within the 2" rule (from the gun to the inside of the inner belt). One washer would have worked, but just barely, so I went with two.

Yeah, I'm in between a 31 and 32" waist (working to get it back to 30!) and the RT pouches stack very closely together with ease. I added a bit of velcro on the inside of the pouch belt loop so they'd grab the belt and not move around unless you want to move them. I have actually had a door frame "remove" two of my mags as I went through the door (more like bulldozed...guess that fits with one of my nicknames!). I had enough on the belt to finish the stage which was something like 30-32 rounds. :cheers: