Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sight question - size notch is best..

ratdog

Just getting into this sport..

Have a stock m&p 40 - want to update the sights

Was going to get a DP fixed rear - do i get one w/ the .115 notch or the 'wide' notch - what do must go w/? If the .115 - imagine i should get the .100 x .180 DP fiber front.

Thanks

For carry and competition, I prefer a 0.140 inch width rear with a 0.125 inch width front with either tritium or a raised gold bead. I really am starting to like the gold bead I have but it is on my 1911.

For a true target gun, I like the 0.140 inch rear with either a 0.125 or 0.115 inch width fiber optic front. For me, 0.105 was way too much light on both sides of the front but some, as the above poster, do prefer that much light.

Good Luck, Later, Lumpy.

.140 wide front, and a .100 rear are the ticket with the Dawsons. ;)

Is that supposed to be .140 rear, .100 front?

You have a Pro or L right? what height front do you use? Do you use the 6 o'clock hold or POA=POI

I run a .100" x .210" fiber optic Dawson in front, and their .140" width fixed rear. Shoots POA at 25yards with a 130ish PF 124 or 147gr round. I tried their 'recommended' .180 (or was it .190?) front initially. It was 2-3" high, for a 6 oclock hold.

My gun is a 9L.

The sight picture is similar to a Dawson/Heinie setup with the race-cut notch... or a Sevigny setup on a Glock. Front post is about half the width of the rear notch. I do think its a *bit* tighter than the Sevigny's (The Warren/Sevigny setup for Glocks is a .150 rear with a .105 front) but it's pretty close.

If you like Sevignys on a Glock, I think you would like what you saw if you played with my M&P. :)

I am a bit more accurate with the M&P, which may be the trigger, the sights, or the ergonomics. Or maybe a placebo effect... But I think the slightly-tighter sights are a bit more accurate, but not tight enough to slow me down.

I've never cared for tight sight pictures, like some of the 1911 sights out there, or a set of Dawson's for a Glock. I like a good bit of daylight in my sight picture for fast shooting.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks. I put the Sevigny Competition on my 1911, and like it. I'll probably add a .100 FO front on it and be good. Still looking for sights for the M&P. Probably the same combination with SV rear, and Dawson .100 front.