Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make Bigger Holes?

Flexmoney

In another thread, it was mentioned that 45lswc leave a bigger hole in the target than ball ammo...making it easier to see your holes, and if you need to make up any shots.

John D. and ErikW. wasted no time and pointing out that the shooter that looks for holes in the target will be looking for their name at toward the bottom of the score sheet.

READ YOUR FREAKIN' SIGHTS!!!

If you aren't calling your shots...stop everything...devote all your time to learnig to call the shot on every target. To not do so will damn you to the hell that is wasted ammo and time.

Flex,

Several years ago we had a local shooter that was a decent B class shooter and shot with a .45 Open gun. He wore the gun out and decided to build a .38 Super instead. He immediately jumped from mid B to a high A classification. We asked him if the mag capacity or feel of the gun was the reason for his sudden improvement and he replied "neither" ... he simply was not able to see the holes left by the .38 round nose bullets and stopped looking for the holes. He relied 100% on his sights and did not waste time looking for holes.

There is a lesson here for all of us...

Leo

When I was shooting in sports that put a higher premium on accuracy, I shot a larger caliber firearm. The larger hole does offer the advantage of putting every round that much closer to the next higher scoring ring. In a games where stages come down to X-ring count, big holes are important. However, guys who looked up to score the targets as they went along always ended up at the bottom of the heap.

Standing still, shooting .5 to 1.5 sec splits, out to about 10-12 yards, I can sometimes see my sights as well as my hits. Occasionally, I've been able to actually watch the carboard get ripped out as the bullet passes through.

I've NEVER seen squat on the target at speed while on an IPSC course, EXCEPT when I called a miss on a near to mid range target and went back for it.

In other words, what Flex said...

I agree with Flex, except that during the last part of a reload, when the mag is on the way into the gun, I have that split second of time looking out at the targets with no sights in the way yet. I have seen a bad shot in my peripheral vision during that time, and been able to fire a make up.

So in some instances, you do have the opportunity to look for holes without slowing down (not during your normal target engagement routine, though!).

I'm still sure it's faster just to call every shot, but learning to change up and pick up a D or a hit on hard cover on the fly can be helpful, too.

DD