Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

free float tubes

jwfuhrman

So Im completing the new upper that Im planning on using strictly as my 3gun upper and Im just curious as to what Free Float tube you guys would suggest. Im probably going to get yelled at for this, as its under $100 and idk if its a good one of not, but DPMS makes a "light weight" Free Float tube. I want the rifle length and its under $100 from Brownells.

Anyone make something different, recommend something else?

Im going to place an order next Monday, so I can get everything put together and sighted in and get some practice with it before my first match in April.

I have a PRI carbon fiber on order. I don't know if it's any better, but it's way cool. My current match rifle has a regular DPMS free float aluminum tube and it does fine, so I don't think you will be hurting yourself with it. I guess when I built this last rifle I kinda pulled out the stops, and the coolness factor was weighed in with the actual functioning of the part. Hey when you tell the misses that it has to be top notch because it is the last AR you are going to build, it will get you a little lee way. Know what I mean..Boy is she gonna be mad, but it will be later...

good to hear. Im probably going to go that route then. Thanks!

I like cheap too. Look on Armalites web site. They have blemish fiberglass tubes, rifle length, for $50. Excellent barrel nut, assembles exactly like a Knights FF rail HG. Not the lightest tube, but it's solid and mounts up nice. Can't beat the price. I think they are blems because they installed two pop rivets on the top instead of the bottom. I didn't care.

post-8536-126505015834_thumb.jpg

I've got the $53 DPMS Rifle-length Free-Float tube on mine. I did a test and ran it HOT, around 75 rounds (one 30-round and one 48-round mag) in 1-5 shot groups, practicing timer reaction time to 1st hit, follow-ups, transitions, etc... I basically would shoot 1-5 rounds, wait only as long as it took to reset the timer, and went again. I'd say twenty, 2+ round bursts in just a few minutes.

The DMPS Aluminum Tube (NON-vented) was warm, but not uncomfortably hot. Considering most rifle stages will be under 50 rounds, and you'll have lots of taping and BS-ing between stages, I don't think I'll have any heat issues.

DPMS3-Gun.jpg

Jeff

Edited by JeffWard

Aluminium is OK and works fine. If you want to be top shelf..and shoot a lighter and cooler gun - get the carbon fiber tube. The difference in price will soon be forgotten but the benefits of a cooler and lighter gun will be apparent every time you pick up your gun.

One thing to remember about heating up a gun. You can shoot the mess out of a stage, and heat it up, knowing that you probably have an hour to let it cool before the next stage, but if you just stick it on your cart, or leave it in the sun, it's still going to be smokin' when you pick it up next time. They need shade. Sometimes we forget simple little things in the excitement of matches. It will be worse if you take your new shooting buddy and let him borrow your rifle, and there are two of you heating it up per stage, and it gets left in the sun. Sometimes a little common sense can go a long way.

One thing to remember about heating up a gun. You can shoot the mess out of a stage, and heat it up, knowing that you probably have an hour to let it cool before the next stage, but if you just stick it on your cart, or leave it in the sun, it's still going to be smokin' when you pick it up next time. They need shade. Sometimes we forget simple little things in the excitement of matches. It will be worse if you take your new shooting buddy and let him borrow your rifle, and there are two of you heating it up per stage, and it gets left in the sun. Sometimes a little common sense can go a long way.

My tube has never gotten as hot from shooting as it does sitting in the sun.

CDNN is selling Hogue rubberized rifle length tubes for 49$ + shipping. I just picked one up for my first/budget 3 gun build. I know it will heat up, but I'm willing to wear gloves. I had a carbine length Hogue on an upper I built a while back, and that sucker got too hot too touch, between the 90+ degree day and the sun and shooting. Had to pull the Mechanix gloves out of the truck. My Beretta 92 got too hot to shoot without gloves that day too. :P

Also as a general rule, a rifle that's hot from being left in the sun will have more point of impact change due to heat than one that gets hot through firing. The sun will heat the barrel more on one side than the other where shooting heats the barrel in a more uniform manner. So like he said, keep it out of the sun. :cheers:

I know this is thread drift.... Sorry

Dwight

Also as a general rule, a rifle that's hot from being left in the sun will have more point of impact change due to heat than one that gets hot through firing. The sun will heat the barrel more on one side than the other where shooting heats the barrel in a more uniform manner. So like he said, keep it out of the sun. :cheers:

I know this is thread drift.... Sorry

Dwight

:cheers: Yup, I found that out, a long time ago!!

well after reading the replies I placed my order from brownells.

Another question, and I hope Im not screwed but I read in the IMGA/USPSA rules on the scopes that are allowed. Does that mean I have to have one from that list or is my Lepould 1-4x20 VXII ok to use.