Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm new here

johnny7

Hi guys and gals, I been lurking here for a couple of weeks and it looks like a great forum. A little about me. I started shooting in USPSA about 16 years ago. I shot in open class ( a Dove custom handgun built on a para frame which Blake Gann had ported in .38 super) then had a few turn of events that caused me to stop shooting and now after repressing my desire to shoot for several years I am ready to shoot again. My gun currently is a Colt commander. Not ready to shoot open so I have been trying to decide what division I want to shoot in before I purchase a new pistol. It will be a 1911 though. and the division will be either Limited or Limited 10. Have a great day.

John McKenzie

Welcome back! And congratulations on your emergence from lurkdom. :)

Why not shoot Single Stack in USPSA, or Custom Defensive Pistol (I assume your Commander is a .45) in IDPA? Really no need for a new gun, there are divisions in both sports tailor made for what you've already got.

Is that an aluminum framed Lightweight or steel framed Combat Commander? Admittedly the Lightweight would be a bit of a manly-man choice as a competition piece. :lol:

So guys thanks for the welcome and since I have been out of the sport awhile would someone tell me what are the best holsters out there? One I could use for SINGLE STACK and Limited. Also mag holders and a belt.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Generally people run different holsters in Single Stack and Limited since Limited allows true race rigs and Single Stack does not. If I had to recommend one holster that could do it all it would the Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster. It conceals well enough to use a daily concealment rig - and I say that as someone who's been doing just that for, oh, the past ten years - but in my testing is almost as fast as a dedicated race rig.

If shooting Single Stack, the best answer for mag-holders is: LOTS. You'll encounter 30-35 round stages on occasion, and if you have a jam, you might need any early reload... Many guys shooting SS carry 6-7 mags, so the staggered-stack versions are the new rage.

I like the Ready Tactical holster because it's got a little offset, but no drop. Their mag pouches are very slim, taking less space on the belt. I have 9 on my rig (which has a little more real estate than some others).

It is a steel frame and I thought about SS but I looked at some of the matches in my area and most of the people are shooting in limited.

Trust me, you don't want to shoot limited with a commander.

Embrace and enjoy single stack! It's probably my favorite division although variety is the spice of life. One time I was the ONLY SS shooter at a rather large match!

I use a Bladetech belt holster and some cheap pouches that I got from a guy on Glocktalk. He calls himself "tactical kydex." I use his pouches for single stack and production, and Safariland 771s for limited.

Okay guys, looks like I am going to be shooting Limited. I had an accident several years ago and can not use my left hand in certain ways. In this case it will be easier to grab a doublestack mag versus a single stack. I also can control a fat gun better than I can a slim one. Looking at either a used Para or a EAA witness match.

Would like to go with .40 but my reloader is set up for .45. Probably leaning towards the Para because of the extra rounds it will hold over the match. Will be looking at the Blade Tech or Blackhawk holster.

thanks for the help and encouragement.

Shoooters are the best!!

Johnny