Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Jamming Up

coframer

post-15573-126464310854_thumb.jpg

Anyone ever have this happen to them? This is in my 3rd gen G19. Now, I had this happen in my 2nd Gen G19 a few weeks ago. Then, I was shooting 147gr bullets. I thought it was happening because it didn't have the 2nd pin like the 3rd gen. But, today while I was shooting the 3rd gen, using 124gr bullets, I first got a stove pipe jam then a couple of mags later this happened?

I have over 10k rounds in this gun and this never has happened until now?

Thanks.

Since the issue has traveled with YOU to a different gun and ammo...

You might be dragging your thumb as the slide cycles. (and, you'd never know it and swear you weren't).

Perhaps you tore it apart, and put it back together wrong. Maybe you are running (too) light loads, or you aren't running stock parts?

Yes, it's a lack of slide speed/travel.

coframer,

I've looked back over a bunch of the topics that you have started. You are having all kinds of issues that you shouldn't be having.

I would suggest...HIGHLY...that you get your Glock(s) back to complete stock configuration. And, I would suggest that, for a bit, you stick with a proven ammo supply (try some Winchester White Box 115g FMJ).

You need to get back to 100%. Then, you can introduce a change...one change at a time, ,only...and run with that one change until it proves itself to be 100%.

Since the issue has traveled with YOU to a different gun and ammo...

You might be dragging your thumb as the slide cycles. (and, you'd never know it and swear you weren't).

Perhaps you tore it apart, and put it back together wrong. Maybe you are running (too) light loads, or you aren't running stock parts?

Dragging my thumb may be true, when I first bought the gun I had trouble with that, could be back to haunt me.

As far as taking it apart, I haven't taken the 2nd gen apart since I've had it, which is about 1500 rounds.

All stock parts.

Loads are normal PF of 128+ on the 124's and 132+ on the 147's.

Could be the thumb!

Yes, it's a lack of slide speed/travel.

coframer,

I've looked back over a bunch of the topics that you have started. You are having all kinds of issues that you shouldn't be having.

I would suggest...HIGHLY...that you get your Glock(s) back to complete stock configuration. And, I would suggest that, for a bit, you stick with a proven ammo supply (try some Winchester White Box 115g FMJ).

You need to get back to 100%. Then, you can introduce a change...one change at a time, ,only...and run with that one change until it proves itself to be 100%.

The only after market part is the trigger. But I was talking to myself about this same thing a couple of weeks ago. This may be the road I travel.

Thanks for your advice.

I'd say your ammo needs more poof to it. If you are using a stock recoil spring, you don't have enough energy to get the brass out all the time. OR your thumb is riding the slide. Buy a little factory ammo & see if it doesn't go away. Factory is liable to be in the 140 range.

MLM

Call Glock. (770) 432-1202. Talk to the service department. Tell them the problem. Email them the photo. I've seen this malf before. As you're no doubt aware it's a bad malfunction because an immediate action drill (tap-rack-bang) won't clear it. An extended malfunction clearance drill (lock-rip-work-tap-rack-bang) won't clear it either. You have to actually lock the slide to the rear and pick the casing out of the gun with your fingers. This is, shall we say, slow.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say the frame rails have begun to "delaminate" themselves, i.e. come loose from the frame a bit. The slide is riding a bit higher above the frame, and therefore the magazine, than it should. Thus the ejector, instead of flipping the casing up and to the right, is hitting the casing low enough that it's driving it upward a bit instead, up along the breech face, and it winds up trapped between the breech face and barrel hood, in-line with but above the chamber. I had a Gen-2 G19 that started doing the exact same thing after 10k flawless rounds. Patrick Sweeney mentions in his Glock book that NYPD also had the same problem with some of their G19s once they began getting some rounds through them. That's my guess. See what Glock says. Your gun may well need a new frame. Which, if this is the problem, Glock will happily provide free of charge. You will have to ship them the gun, however.

i sent him a tub of slide guide and told him to use it on his thumb...the kids hands just swallow up the 19..totally..and after talking to him about this the last few days,it was narrowed down to his thumbs..i've advised him several times about buying a 17/34 to help out with this condition..but he just loves the 19..

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what happened. I had just received some rainier 124 plated. It was the first time I loaded them so I loaded them lighter than usuall due to the plating. I went out and shot you see what happened. I went out and chronoed the rounds, they were making less than 124pf. My mistake. I went back to my normal bullet and load. Since I have shot around 1000 rounds and no problems. Thanks guys.

yes I have learned a lesson.

Picking a reliable and accurate load, is as important as picking a gun and practicing....

That's what I've been looking at for a while now. I've narrowed it down to the 124 JHP Rainiers or the 147gr Precision Delta's.

I had a good pistolsmith once tell me something I have never forgotten: "Whenever a gun starts puking on them, people never blame the ammo, they always blame the gun. But the fact is that most auto pistol malfunctions are caused by the ammo."

He also told me, "Whenever a previously 100 percent reliable gun suddenly starts malfunctioning, the first thing you should always ask yourself is, 'What did I change?' Figure out what you changed, put it back the way it was when the gun worked 100 percent, it'll probably start working 100 percent again."

Good catch. You changed the ammo, the gun stopped working. Obviously the problem was the ammo. Went back to the load that worked before, the gun started working again.

The same thing happened once to a buddy of mine in December.

photo5.jpg

We detail stripped the gun and found a filthy extractor. Once we cleaned it up, it went back to being 100%.

I'd look into that, before you go sending it back to Glock.

Edited by synergy