Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Feed with Weak recoil springs? Next round hitting feed-ramp

hav3n

Hi guys,

Parts list as of when this issue was happening.

• EGD Xtreme Tanfoglio Sear
  • Tanfoglio Optimized Firing Pin Spring
  • Tanfoglio Optimized Hammer Spring 12lb
  • Tanfoglio Optimized Trigger Return Spring - Reduced Power
  • EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Long-Slide 8lb Recoil Spring
  • Tanfoglio Optimized "BOLO" Interrupter
  • EGD Xtreme Titan Hammer
  • EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Reduced Weight Trigger Plunger Springs Set by Henning (Using 18lb)
  • EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Large Frame DA/SA Trigger w/ Over-travel Stop (102014)
  • Pretty decent polish job

Using these cheap mags - https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-witness-large-frame-9mm-17rd-afc-magazine-oe.html?___SID=U

Anyone experienced this issue?

Load 3 rounds in the magazine -> fire -> case ejects picks up the next round in the mag but the last bullet is so far forward that it is hitting the feed-ramp and preventing the round from seating.

Press mag release -> bullet / mag drops out of the way and slide closes correctly on the 2nd to last round.

Anyone had this before? Why is the second to last round riding forward so far to hit the feed ramp inside the gun?

I'm going to put the original recoil spring back in tonight and give it a test tonight at the range. I've also put the 20lb plunger spring back in due to ARy's suggestion in another thread - Will probably go back to factory 22lb soon.

IMG_5919.JPG

IMG_5920.JPG

IMG_5921.JPG

IMG_5922.JPG

Edited by hav3n

Does all your magz numbered? So you can isolate the culprit. I have one factory magz that doing this, Henning sells mag spring kit for large frame- 6/pack( me far)I shot over 1500 in 3 days zero problem after I change it.

20150724_153331_zps1sok0wa_edit_14449106O

Take off and turn the slide over. There is a rib from the breech face to firing pin keeper. Chamfer the leading edge with a file (45degree angle), polish that and the rib.

The sharp edge is dragging a round and causing the issue. (Most probably)  Inserted a picture of the rib and arrow on where to chamfer. That one is polished, but not yet chamfered.

Edited by johnbu
Add photo

First, number your mags. All of them. For every gun you own. Check that number every time you have a malfunction. Even seemingly innocent ones like rounds going click. Make that a habit. I use an engraving bit in a dremel but a sharpie on the basepad works fine.

Second, have you tried different ammo? Change OALs or bullet profiles just to see.

Sudden reliability issues that rise out of nowhere are Ammo, Mag, and gun related. Usually in that order. Most people want to immediately try to diagnose the gun and overlook the actual cause.

First thing I would do would be to chamfer and polish the slide where Johnbu suggested. I barely fired mine without that modification, so I'll assume it helped.

Second would be to number your mags, bring factory K9 and your CDNN MecGar's to the range and try two different types of your reloads, or grab a box of factory stuff to test it.

Those mags have never given me a feeding issue that I've found, btw. Granted my gun is rather new... but I'm running one K9 mag and six MecGar's from CDNN

Thanks Johnbu, ARY, Memphis. 

I had the issue happen on he first stage of four tonight. Then the other 3 of them ran clean. Not sure what that means. Could have been a grip issue?

I'll update later with more info.

Edited by hav3n

"Could be" mag related.... but do the chamfer and polish first. Odds are the issue will go away.

11 hours ago, hav3n said:

Thanks Johnbu, ARY, Memphis. 

I had the issue happen on he first stage of four tonight. Then the other 3 of them ran clean. Not sure what that means. Could have been a grip issue?

I'll update later with more info.

On 12/8/2016 at 4:39 PM, johnbu said:

20150724_153331_zps1sok0wa_edit_14449106O

Take off and turn the slide over. There is a rib from the breech face to firing pin keeper. Chamfer the leading edge with a file (45degree angle), polish that and the rib.

The sharp edge is dragging a round and causing the issue. (Most probably)  Inserted a picture of the rib and arrow on where to chamfer. That one is polished, but not yet chamfered.

How'd I do?

before first 2 - after second 2

IMG_5936.JPG

IMG_5938.JPG

IMG_5939.JPG

IMG_5940.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Pretty scary laying a dang file to a $1000 gun!

But, it works. If you look at a "service" pistol like a glock, you can see the major chamfer the give at the factory.

Yeah, I'm looking at mine. A little nervous. 

You F it up and you need a new slide!

When I was shooting EAA/Tanfo guns I had to round that edge on every single one of my guns slides to keep the OP's issue from happening. Why EAA/Tanfo does not do it when they manufacture the slides is beyond my understanding. Virtually all other gun manufactures round that corner on their slides to avoid this very issue.

5 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

When I was shooting EAA/Tanfo guns I had to round that edge on every single one of my guns slides to keep the OP's issue from happening. Why EAA/Tanfo does not do it when they manufacture the slides is beyond my understanding. Virtually all other gun manufactures round that corner on their slides to avoid this very issue.

I've been asking myself why tanfo lets these guns out the door in the condition they're in?  Probably the worst stock trigger I've ever felt! Others have mentioned the machining is horrible. The chambers are short.  I'm wondering who shoots these guns as is from the factory?  

Can't imagine they shoot them well!

I don't know why EAA/Tanfo let the guns out the door with these issues. It was always like that when I shot them for many years. I just got use to needing to tune them up as needed to make them competition ready and reliable. Nearly all off the shelf guns need a trigger job anyway to make the trigger half way decent, so I don't see that as being an issue that is specific to EAA/Tanfo.

Yeah... but these are "shiny", and the speed knob goes to 11 !

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Look at the price your average Witness went for in the USA before Grauffel and Stoeger made the Stock models popular.

They're $250-450 for a reason. 14 pound triggers and questionable reliability.

I use a new-ish flat file about 1/4" wide with fine teeth. There are  whole bunch in the tool roll around, nothing special.

3 hours ago, emjei said:

Which file ??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk