Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where To Buy Kydex Material & Instruction

Migs

Friends:

I would like to learn how to make Kydex holsters and sheaths. If anyone knows where I can obtain this instruction I would be most grateful. Also, if anyone knows where sheets of this material can be purchased at reasonable prices, that would be useful too. Internet Links are also welcome. You can also e-mail them to me. mreznicek@pretensa.com

Thanks in advance,

Miguel Reznicek

Plastic wholesalers and distributors (look in the phone book under 'plastic' carry or can order Kydex in most any thickness and color. After that what you need is a heat-gun and/or oven and a lot of trial and error. Hot kydex shapes like wet leather.

Thanks for the comments! How do I search the archives? I tried the search at the top of the forum for "Texas Knifemakers" and nothing came up. Where are the archives? Sorry for my ignorance. Im new to this forum.

Again, thanks!

Miguel

As an aside to this, does anyone know someone who does small custom kydex work?  I'm looking for a different style belt hanger for a Blackhawk CQC holster.

I'm planning on coming up Friday afternoon, I can bring some plastic and my plastic bending stuff if you have some time, or bring your holster to the match and I'll see if I can't help.

• 5 years later...

+1 to these guys. I've ordered from them several times. Great service. Check out their bone yard deals.

Same here. I've been buying all my kydex and chicago screws from them.

Same here, I buy a bunch or the shipping kills the deal though.

Edited by DWFAN

• 2 weeks later...

forget knifekits and texas knife.

the knife making supply companies buy items like this and charge a premium, just like the "gunsmithing" companies that sell simple tools like files and drill bits for way higher prices than what the you would pay from suppliers of the industry that uses them regularly.

interstateplastics dot com

this is the place to get the kydex, have them cut it to 1'X1' squares to drop the shipping way down. i use the .060" for sheaths, and the .093" for belt clips, it would probably work well for holsters too. i like the thinner stuff because it molds easier and shows a better impression, but when working with a a gun you have a thicker piece with way more definition, so it should show off the impression nicely.

fastener-supply dot com

check out the eyelets, stimpson GS. the sizing is in 32nd of an inch. so a 6/6 is a 6/32 diameter 6/32 long (3/16x3/16)

the diameter is a preference, unless you want to use chicago screws, then you need to go with 1/4" or the #8 diameter. if you're using the .060" material you want to use the #6 length eyelets, and for the .093" material use the #8 length eyelets

they have a few different finishes for the eyelets, get the black oxide if it's available at the time. you're going to want to buy some birchwood and casey brass black for touching up the eyelets, sometimes the black wears off when you're crimping them on

also get the corresponding die set to crimp the eyelets on. don't get talking in to a fancy press or anything for the dies, drill a hole the diameter of the die shank in a piece of wood, and use that to hold the bottom die, the top die sits in the chuck of your drill press, no point in buying another tool when the drill press works perfect for it.

use a large toaster oven for heating the kydex too. play with the temp, i find my oven set at a little over 300 works beautifully.

for molding kydex, look on amazon for a camo hunting cushion. one of the hunting cushions thats a seat and back held together with straps

most of the foam you find out there stinks, it doesn't hold up, and gets cut up by the kydex, ruining it permanently. these cushions can be found for about 5 bucks at dickssportinggoods after hunting season.

cut them in to suitable sizes and glue them to some scrap corian or wood as a backing. the thin layer of cammo material will protect the foam from getting damaged, but is thin enough not to effect the definition of the mold

the last piece i had like that lasted well over year. that's a long life for kydex molding foam

you can make a press or buy a press, but if you have a vise in the shop you can use that too. the presses are over rated.

tin snips work well for cutting the kydex, i use a bandsaw. then once molded i refine the shape with a 2X72 belt sander, but that can be done with just about any sander.

i can't think of anything else right now. shoot me an email if you have questions.

Spanglercustomknives@gmail dot com

spanglercustomknives dot com

sorry for the links, i guess i'm too new to post links

Kydex is also used as a wall covering. I see it a lot in Hospitals in high traffic areas, especially on corners in hallways. Your local wall covering peddler might have suitable stock, or even scraps on hand

What you are seeing used as a wall covering might be a product called FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic). I've installed lots of it in lab and food service areas. It looks similar to Kydex, but I'm not sure it would be as easy to work with.