Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai v8 38 SC

Sporky

I have a V8 Akai and I am looking for load recommendations.

I have 8lbs of AA#7 so I would like to use that, and Precision Delta 124's.

Curious to know if anyone else has the V8 and how much powder they are using.  

I am wondering if I have to feed those holes tons of gas.

Thanks in advance

On 2/1/2018 at 12:34 PM, Shadyscott999 said:

You will probably be somewhere between 10.1 and 10.5 with AA7 in a V8 with 124s

Awesome! Thanks for that.

So I am assuming that I just need a ton of gas to get the comp and the V8 holes to work as intended? I have only shot open guns with 1 or 2 normal poppel hols so I don't really know what I am "supposed" to be going for as far as how the gun responds in recoil

I look a somo video of my old load with 124's and it seemed to have a good amount of rise still.  But the dot still came back to the same spot, and it was accurate as hell!

I was getting amazing groups at 50 yds just messing around with a target my brother in law was sighting his shot gun in with.

Thanks agan, I really appreciate it

12 minutes ago, 57K said:

SuperflyPhD, my evidence comes from using it.;)

So it's your opinion, not based on empirical evidence of measuring muzzle rise in a compensated gun. 

Edited by superdude

Yes, I have measured muzzle rise. Yes, I have used Accurate #7.

The bar graph shows muzzle rise with a 38 Super pistol with a 3-port EGW compensator mounted in a Ransom Rest (RR). The bullet was a 115 grain Winchester JHP bullet at 1.245” OAL. The graph shows RR movement at 1435 fps (165 power factor) as determined by linear regression. 

Accurate #7 has less muzzle rise than Autocomp, HS-6, Silhouette and Titegroup. Accurate #7 has about the same muzzle rise as 3N38, and more than Enforcer. 

The correlation between muzzle rise and powder weight in this sample (for 165 power factor) is -0.84

(probability less than 0.05).  More gunpowder weight means less muzzle rise in a compensated pistol. The result is reversed in a gun without a compensator. In this case, more powder weight means more muzzle rise.  This is consistent with the theoretical model of recoil, explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil

When shooters are looking for powders that provide more gas for their compensator, look for what powder weight is required to achieve the desired power factor. Weight predicts gas volume/pressure and muzzle rise pretty reliably.  Of course, you have to run the gun to determine if it feels better or worse, which powder you prefer.

image.png.79509b2fab989d5c3b835a53270d19eb.png

So aa7 is fine to run in a 9major open gun? and do you prefer it over autocomp and hs-6 ? im getting ready to order powder for an akai 9m open gun... and if aa7 is just as good and less of a charge... sign me up...lol

3 minutes ago, Loudgp said:

So aa7 is fine to run in a 9major open gun? and do you prefer it over autocomp and hs-6 ? im getting ready to order powder for an akai 9m open gun... and if aa7 is just as good and less of a charge... sign me up...lol

aa7 is a larger charge than autocomp and hs-6.  but yes its fine to use for 9 major.

12 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Holy cow Superdude, talk to me about Enforcer!  I've never heard of it before, how much did it take to make major under a 115?

It requires a lot of Enforcer to do this. My calculations (linear regression) show it requires 14.45 grains to make 165 power factor with the 115 grain bullet from my 5.5" barrel. The most I loaded in that particular test was 14.2 grains (done several years ago), so it came up a little short of Major. I have not tried it again in the Super with larger charge weights so I don't have data for that. If you tried it, you would have to work up your loads.

My sized 38 Super Comp case will hold 16.0 grains of Enforcer when filled to the brim, so you're going to have a nearly full case. Naturally, your loads will be COMPRESSED!  It might be worth a try, just keep in mind that it might be tough to get enough in the case to make power factor in a 5" barrel (depending on your bullet, it's length and your OAL), and since I haven't tried it again with a 115 grain bullet, I don't know how it will respond. Powders sometimes do weird things with different bullet weights that's hard to understand. So, don't buy 8 pounds of. Try 1 pound, and please don't yell at me if you can't get enough in the case to make power factor +5 for your buffer. That could happen with this powder - it's just too slow for this job in these calibers, but if you can make it work, it will provide gas!  You have been warned. :)

Enforcer might benefit from a magnum primer. Some old data with Enforcer in several calibers, including the 38 Special and 45 Auto (really!), used magnum primers, although they didn't use magnum primers all the time. I used Federal small rifle primers for my 38 Super and 9X23 loads. 

Another powder to try would be Accurate #9. It requires a couple more grains than #7 for the same speed - in my 6" barrel - and produces less case expansion (which might translate into less peak chamber pressure) than #7. And #9 is a little denser than Enforcer ( a sized 38 Super Comp case holds 16.9 gr) and requires a little less weight than Enforcer for the same speed (in my test with 124 grain bullets), so it won't fill the case as much.