Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Multiple Divisions

cheby

I have been shooting Production for a quite a while. I take it seriously and  practice a lot - dry fire daily and shoot $40K-50K a year.
Recently I decided to try Limited for the following reasons:
1) Experience Major scoring and, as a result, get faster
2) Focus on movement and improve it since in Production each time I move I reload and that limits my pure movement efforts
3) 2018 Nationals - I want to shoot two divisions next year if I can.

So I dry fired my Limited gun for a while and surprisingly, it was kinda bumpy at first especially draws, grips, and reloads. My Limited gun is reasonably close to my Production gun (Both are CZ). It is getting better now but it made me concerned about possible detrimental effect of this switch on my shooting in Production especially considering that the recoil impulse is very different as well.

I was thinking to practice 50/50 with both guns but no longer sure if that works and could create any synergy value. I understand there are some great shooters out there who can do that. But I am not Rob Leatham.
So the questions is how to make practicing two divisions mutually beneficial instead of creating possible destruction and inconsistency in both divisions? If it is possible to master both simultaneously what the training program should include?
Am I wrong and should I just focus on one division and switch 100% to another one if/when I want to??
Edited by cheby

I used to shoot OPEN and Minor Limited for a couple years.

Shooting two different guns was beneficial to me, but I had to get used to the iron vs optical sights.

I was just a C/B shooter and didn't do anything differently - never even dry fired.   :ph34r:

But, that's why I'm still a C/B shooter    :) 

4 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I find it best if i'm going to switch divisions to do it for several months (usually with a specific goal in mind). going back and forth seems to significantly limit my ability to improve.

That's what I am afraid of now

If you are shooting well, and even if you are not) I would make a switch to limited for a bit, to see how fast you can shoot and like you said allow yourself the freedom of movement without jacking with reloads, even if you just use your production gun.   I do think putting the production gun down for a bit would be the better way to do it too.  Learn what you can from the limited gun, then switch back.  If you have been  shooting  40,000-50,000 rounds a year out of the production gun, it will come back quick when/if you go back to it.

If you're using cz other than reloads the practice issue is the da vs sa, especially on 1st shot.  

My concern though is in prod i'm used to reloading every time i move, that can catch you in a match with a limited gun.  I've seen the pro's get tricked up on the rare occasion.

Switch it up in local matches and figure out how you can deal with it.  It's not impossible you just need to be aware without having to think about it.

• 1 month later...