Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 1.0 barrel accuracy

itlogo

I know that there are already a few threads comparing the accuracy of the 1.0 barrel to the Apex, but I wanted to add another data point to that.  The other day, I picked up a LNIB 9L Pro CORE, and went to the range today to zero the dot.  This is a typical grouping at 25 yards:

IMG_3466.thumb.jpg.44e9c42d3f4433b77d18851081de2c49.jpg

That's about a 5" group--at 25 yards (the other taped holes were at 15 yards).  I tried both my match ammo and off-the-shelf factory ammo, and neither were particularly any more accurate.  I also have another 9L Pro that I've shot in the past and it grouped similarly.  I had thought that maybe I wasn't lining up the irons properly from shot-to-shot, but the red dot on this new one confirms it.  And the fact that both of them group this poorly is more proof that it's not an isolated incident.  I know the Apex barrel will really tighten up the group, but that's another $200.

Just wanted to rant.  Frustrating when new equipment doesn't work like it should.

Luckily I one mine in a match or I would've been mad. Just disappointed in accurr5. New bar sto barrel (before apex was available) all better now. Trigger was redone by aeti when I won it. Also had problems with light strikes. Do yourself a favor get another platform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Itlogo, do you usually shoot 3" groups at 25 yards, with any pistol?

I'd try a 12 - 15 shot group, from a careful bench rest - discard the 3-4 "flyers"

and see how large to 10 shot core of your group is - see if that helps   (I never

believed in 5-shot groups).

5" @ 25 isn't stellar, but its not as bad as some of the older ones I have seen (and owned). I would try more ammo variety before giving up on it. You didn't mention the specs on the ammo you tried. what weight and velocity? My 9L with factory barrel will shoot 3" or better @ 25 and just over 5" @ 50 yds. With the APEX barrel I have in it now its less than half that. Worth the $200.00 in my opinion.

IMG_0030.jpg

48 minutes ago, mpeltier said:

Worth the $200.00 in my opinion.

Buying a different platform makes more sense to me. M&P is no longer the only common polymer Production/SSP gun with full ambi controls, which was the only reason I bought mine in 2008.

I’m in a Q5 Match and an apex-level (sub 3 pound) trigger is easy: swap one $5 spring into the gun. Walther’s trigger is so amazingly clean that I’ve returned it to completely stock.

It’s a factory tack driver, points even better than M&P, and the ambi controls are massive and impossible to miss.

And Walther isn’t the only other choice: I’d look at a Canik, CZ, Tanfo, the P320, etc long before I’d ever buy another M&P.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

23 hours ago, Jmoreno88 said:

Interesting, are you doing it freehand or off a rest? Only asking cuz my grouping is pretty good but mine did have the apex upgrades so it does help a bit

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

These were from a rest.

Just buy an apex barrel and be done with it,  unless you already have the mags and all the other equipment your not going to change platforms for the cost of a barrel.  Glock is the probably the most popular platform on the market and most competitive shooters change the barrels in those

Both of my Pro's shot no better than 4" @ 25 yds off sandbags. Groups tightened up to 2-2.5" with semi fit Apex barrel.  Ammo is PD 124gr JHP.  My CZ P09 and TS shot that tight with factory barrel.  S&W barrels seemed to be made to be reliable like Kalashnikov I supposed:o