Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lots of Smoke?

Chacam

I am getting a lot of smoke when I fire.  I am using 9mm 145gr LRN with 3gr of Titegroup.  Is it the powder, the lead or a combination the makes it smoke?  Is there maybe a different combination that wouldn't smoke as much?  Never noticed smoke like that with factory loads.  I am just shooting target and getting about 900fps.  Thanks

If you're using traditionally lubed cast bullets, with lube in the lube groove, or dry lubed swaged lead bullets, the overwhelming majority of smoke is from the lube. It's almost like black powder with some lubes!

If you want to shoot lead, try the polymer coated bullets. Much less smoke.  If not, shoot plated or jacketed.

Shooting lead bullets produces lots of smoke, well the lube does just like lefty o said. You may what to switch to poly coated bullet like Black bullets international ,The Blue bullet, or Acme bullets. They make much less smoke. I run BBI 147gr with 3.0 gr of Titegroup, very soft shooting.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:13 PM, 9x45 said:

TiteGroup is a hot powder and with lead, or moly lead, it will smoke. Try HiTek coated bullets.

If you have a pile of the lead bullets try another powder, don't notice too much smoke with Red Dot and traditional cast.

Otherwise get you some coated for a couple bucks more per K.