Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition is a crucible

Joe4d

"Competition is a crucible. That wich works rises to the top, that which doesnt is cast aside."
D.R. Middlebrook....  guy that taught me to shoot fast. and actually hit "good enough".
Any who thinking of getting back into the game and the Carry Optics has me interested.
I started with a Browning HP, moved on to a Para 1640... Shot IDPA and USPSA L-10... then when I retired  I went all in on a 6 inch STI,, midweight B class shooter got bumped at nationals, and heart was no longer in it as the one match a month was too far away.
Now looking to do outlaw IDPA style CO, and USPSA CO. 
Have a Viper sight and no gun.
been reading tons over the last month or so for a platform.. I learned with the Browning and Para not to try to reinvent the wheel. There is a reason some guns are most common.
The "DUH" something stood out.
Of the guns IMO that are standing out.
Other, which includes the Caniks and Wallthers mostly   8k posts.
CZ                                                                                             51k
EAA                                                                                           42k
Glock,,, ( cant stand, grip angle is wrong for me)              80k
S&W ( mostly M&P)                                                                22k
XD (  one that is in running but makes me worried)           9k
Sig  (but gaining ground after the X5)                                   7k

Now granted,, could be lots of posts because the guns need lots of work,, but I would think if their were issues people would quit using them. Other than the X5 all these platforms are pretty mature.
 think for me ideal is a CZ or witness especially if you figure they could be grouped together at 90k. 
I started with a Browning Hipower, and the CZ shares alot in common. XD was on the radoar but years ago when I was more into this sport it was falling to the wayside because of high bore axis.
M&P looks promising. Guess it depends on what strikes my fancy first.

If you can try them, that would be my suggestion. Do you want a turn key set up, or do you want to do a lot of modding or send it off to be worked on? The EAAs can be real nice, and I love my Limited Pro, but it was a lot of work getting it there. CZ is a little more refined I am told. Glocks have the largest aftermarket support, but if they don't work for you, disregard. I'm digging my Canik TP9SFX, but they are new without a long term track record. The Sig 320 was a front runner until the whole "don't drop it" thing. I wouldn't let that scare you from it. 

I shoot a CZ P09 in carry optics. It has been "Cajunized" and runs very well. I had a slide milled with a Delta Point Pro with the 7.5" dot. It has ran great for about 9,000 rounds this year so far. Having said all that. I would take a hard look at the Walther Match. It's new so not many post. But I shot one at Area 4 and it felt and shot great. There seems to be aftermarket parts coming out quickly for it. Base pads, holsters, springs, guide rods, etc. I know 2 shooters who are using the Canik TP9SFX. Both like them and what I have seen so far they have ran very well. 

Yeh I just noticed the P09,,, When I saw discussions of the P09,, I had assumed they were talking about the Springfield P9, which was a steel cz75 type gun,, may have been a Tanfo before EAA came around. 
The Current P09 sounds good, but  what about magazines ? I looked and it doesnt seem to use the same mags as other CZ's, so was concerned about followers, pads, etc, or future availability. What kinda mags and guts does it take ? Possibly Witness large frame ?
Would do all my own work except slide milling

I'd take another look at the Canik SFX...Very well made and very accurate!. Hard to beat for the money.... I usually shoot PPC or Open w/a 2011 9mm. I've bought 2 of the SFX's. (Couldn't pass the 2nd. one up, guy needed quick cash). The mags (Megar) work. TF is soon  to have a Canik specific 140MM legal base pad for the 20 rd. mag. (22 rds.) if you got to have more..  The Megars are simple to clean... Check the Canik forum out or some of my posts....Lot of little cheap tweak's can be done... I'm running the Vertex Venom 6 moa dot.. Works well.. look at some of the Canik posts here also..... Yes, I have a few Glocks, shot in GSSF only now.

Edited by mike NM

15 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Yeh I just noticed the P09,,, When I saw discussions of the P09,, I had assumed they were talking about the Springfield P9, which was a steel cz75 type gun,, may have been a Tanfo before EAA came around. 
The Current P09 sounds good, but  what about magazines ? I looked and it doesnt seem to use the same mags as other CZ's, so was concerned about followers, pads, etc, or future availability. What kinda mags and guts does it take ? Possibly Witness large frame ?
Would do all my own work except slide milling

P09 uses the CZ P series magazines for the P07 and P09. There are plenty of basepad/spring options available for them already, and they are exceptional guns in my experience. I think they are great at any price, so the fact that they are so cheap is just a bonus. There are a few people locally that are shooting the Q5, and it seems alright though not my personal favorite. I have heard good things about the Canik but have yet to see one in the wild, so I will withhold comment.

Whatever you go with, the Leopold DPP is tough to beat.

i saw a used Canick,, looked very lightly used, In hindsight it had probably been monkeyed with. As the thing ratlled and would fall out of battery just by moving it around. SHoulda compared it to the new one nearby.  I think it was $420 ,,  But for 499 NIB I can get an M&P 5"  2.0 ,, Id try the canick for about $350... Got a line on a steel CZ..
Id kinda like to find a large frame Witness, as I already have new 23 rd caspian mags Although could probably sell them. I have a NIB Vortex Viper already.
So no love for the XD? there is an 4.25" OS,,, ( factory milled) near by I could grab

Edited by Joe4d

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

So no love for the XD? there is an 4.25" OS,,, ( factory milled) near by I could grab

I love the XDm. (Springfield thinks the m stands for match but it stands for Marketing). My first 2 1/2 years have been with my trusty 4.5 9mm in Production. Recently, fate recently sent me a great deal on a 5.25 in .40 so I'm dipping my toe into Limited. I first selected the XDm as it fit my hand the best. Now, I would say it's because I know the ins and outs of the gun. As a new shooter, I appreciate that it seldom fails to go bang. An occasional stovepipe that I've learned to clear quickly and is an indicator that it needs to go to the smith for a complete tear down (an annual event). Many, including the OP, don't care for the high axis. Maybe I'm too new to notice but has never been an issue with me. At one juncture, I was give the advice to aim as though I was pointing with my thumb, but to be honest, now things are automatic so I don't think about it. 

Lots of choices out there, but can't really go wrong with any of them.

Since you are used to BHP's and 1911 based guns, CZ would be the logical next step.

The BHP is what JMB wanted the 1911 to be, and the CZ-75 is basically a highly evolved BHP, in my opinion.

The P07/09 is a good cheap option to try out the platform, while the SP01/Shadow or Tanfoglio Witness are pricier but have a more competition-oriented aftermarket. The new optic plate system that CZ Custom just came out with looks like it would be a great choice for a dedicated CO type gun, whereas trying to fit a red dot to a Witness slide is a bit of a challenge due to inconsistencies in how they machine the rear sight cut and how little space you have to mill a sight with the firing pin block in the way.