Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

e3 data

Mountbkr

• 1 month later...
Yep, it looks like for my set up 4.20 is the amount of E3 I need to be sure I'm gonna make major with a decent confidence level.

So far in this gun with the same bullet and other stuff the same I've needed 4.8 of WST, 4.4 of Titegroup or 4.20 of E3 to make major and not sweat it.
Rowdyb, why did you decide to go E3 over WST. Is just because of temperature sensitive? How does it feel and cleanness compare to other powder? I'm currently use N320. Hope to go to another powder good as that but easier to get and cost less.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Simply temperature with the WST. It shot wonderfully but I life in a place that goes in temps on match day from 25F to 95F. Yes, I could make a 95F load and probably be fine, but I don't want to. The E3 gives me a cleaner gun, a cooler gun and a softer feel than TG. Without the price and metering issues I had with N320.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bowenbuilt said:

If i could only have one powder for 9 Minor and .40 and .45 Major e3 would be the one i could live with. It does everything you could want with no spikey surprises.

Even though this thread is about .40, how is it for 9mm?  Wouldn't mind just sticking to one powder source for both

It is just a little quicker than N320 in actual use. e3 is more energetic per grain than any powder made with the same burn rate. It is outstanding for 9mm and .40. It seems to do everything well except measure well in very small doses because of the large flakes.        

On 10/10/2017 at 4:59 PM, zzt said:

I don't think you will need that much rowdy.  KKM barrels are generally fast and you really only need 172PF.  I used 3.6gr or 3.7gr e3 under 180s, depending on bullet for 172.  OAL was 1.126"  Barrel was my 5.1" CZ TS barrel.

What would suggest for an IDPA paper punching load?  

I have e3 and W231 on hand. For bullets I get 183-ish gr with a non-hard alloy using Lee TL175SWC  mold. I coat with HiTek. An OAL of 1.130 sits in the middle of the driving band. 

I appreciate your thoughts as I recall you went through a lot of options on your way to your e3 loads

ty

On 10/10/2017 at 4:59 PM, zzt said:

I used 3.6gr or 3.7gr e3 under 180s, 

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for a cheaper alternative to N320 for major loads and less touchy than Titegroup so based on this thread I picked up a pound to do some testing.  After reading this thread I made up some test loads at 3.8, 4.0 and 4.2 gn all loaded with a Campro 180 gn Plated TC bullet at 1.125 out of a CZ Tactical Sport.  Since I shoot IPSC primarily I am looking for a load that settles about 175 PF to be safe.

The 3.8 load had a 10 shot avg of 891 fps for 160 PF with an ES of 44 and SD of 16.33, The 4.0 load had a 10 shot avg of 924 fps for 166 PF with an ES of 34 and SD of 10.15,  The 4.2 load had a 10 shot avg of 952 for 171 PF with an ES of 40 and an SD of 10.34.  So It looks like I need to do up some 4.3 loads and test again.  The ES and SD's were pretty similar to my TG loads while the N320 loads were in the mid 20's for ES and 7's for SD.

For comparison purposes if someone else is looking to do up some test loads my Current match load is 5.1 gn of N320 which gives me 175 PF with the same setup and Titegroup needs 4.7 gn to make 174 PF.