Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Comps Noticeable Difference

SlvrDragon50

Starting to piece together my AR build now, and I'm wondering if a titanium comp will make a noticeable difference compared to a steel comp when transitioning? I know it's only a few ounces, but it is at the far end so it'll be more noticeable I imagine. I don't mind shelling out more for non-wear parts since the investment will be tiny over months or years. Currently looking at the SJC Titan though I am open to other comps too.

Thanks

Titanium comps will erode faster than a steel comp. Dont know if it's to the point they degrade real world performance, but it's something to think about.  The Dynamic Resistance steel comp is lighter, shorter, and half the price of the SJC Titan Ti.

2 hours ago, jon49erfan said:

Titanium comps will erode faster than a steel comp. Dont know if it's to the point they degrade real world performance, but it's something to think about.  The Dynamic Resistance steel comp is lighter, shorter, and half the price of the SJC Titan Ti.

Oh dang really? I was reading that titanium comps were pretty resistant to erosion. I may just get the SJC Titan in steel then.

Is a shorter comp a good thing or something? Sorry, very new to this. I was thinking of getting the Lantac Dragon or V7 Furion if I wanted to go lightweight. Realistically, I'm a young person and the weight is something I can learn to deal with. Just another way to exericse :)

The difference is something you might notice dry handling the gun but never notice in actual match use. That said I bought one of the new JP titanium comps and I'm loving it.

On 7/24/2017 at 1:09 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

Starting to piece together my AR build now, and I'm wondering if a titanium comp will make a noticeable difference compared to a steel comp when transitioning? I know it's only a few ounces, but it is at the far end so it'll be more noticeable I imagine. I don't mind shelling out more for non-wear parts since the investment will be tiny over months or years. Currently looking at the SJC Titan though I am open to other comps too.

Thanks

Just FYI, comps are wear items.

I've got one on an 18" barrel that will probably be toast around the same time that the barrel is.

Just now, Vespid_Wasp said:

Just FYI, comps are wear items.

I've got one on an 18" barrel that will probably be toast around the same time that the barrel is.

I learned that shortly after researching more, but I didn't think they would wear that fast. What is the effect of the "wear". Like do you just lose compensator characteristics? Or is accuracy affected.

The erosion will eventually enlarge the inside diameter of the exit hole of the barrel, and in theory at least will reduce effectiveness as more gas will escape without impacting the surface of the comp.

Another point to consider is that some comps are worse about causing buildup of carbon on the crown of your barrel.  From what I recall reading a while back, comps with high pressure chambers and jet ports in those chambers cause worse carbon buildup.  My comp is one of those and I do remove the comp to clean the muzzle at least twice a year.

On 8/1/2017 at 9:00 PM, Vespid_Wasp said:

The erosion will eventually enlarge the inside diameter of the exit hole of the barrel, and in theory at least will reduce effectiveness as more gas will escape without impacting the surface of the comp.

Another point to consider is that some comps are worse about causing buildup of carbon on the crown of your barrel.  From what I recall reading a while back, comps with high pressure chambers and jet ports in those chambers cause worse carbon buildup.  My comp is one of those and I do remove the comp to clean the muzzle at least twice a year.

Ahh, thanks for that. I have so much to learn still :( But I'm slowly learning! I just ordered a Ballistic Advanntage Fluted 18" .223 Wylde Barrel to go with the SJC Titan so I think it'll look pretty sweet :) Hopefully it'll perform well too!

• 1 month later...

Is a ti comp's life about the same as the barrel?  Was considering a ti comp pinned and welded to a 14.5" barrel.  Wondering, now, if that is maybe not such a hot idea.

steel comp on 14.5" vs ti comp on 16"?  On a pencil barrel.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:40 AM, ropsitos said:

Is a ti comp's life about the same as the barrel?  Was considering a ti comp pinned and welded to a 14.5" barrel.  Wondering, now, if that is maybe not such a hot idea.

I imagine the answer depends upon the barrel and what kind of accuracy you need?

21 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I imagine the answer depends upon the barrel and what kind of accuracy you need?

Currently thinking about a JP barrel or a ballistic advantage.  I want the JP ultralight, but the BA is close and can be had for a deal, so it might be worth trying out.

How does comp choice or the slight diff in length effect the accuracy?  I'm looking for standard 3gun accuracy, mainly local matches out to 200-300 max.  I have another longer barreled gun to use for longer distances.

On 9/24/2017 at 9:40 AM, ropsitos said:

Slightly off topic: Make sure your gunsmith has experience TIG welding titanium... I understand it can be more challenging to weld than steel.

On 9/28/2017 at 2:52 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

Slightly off topic: Make sure your gunsmith has experience TIG welding titanium... I understand it can be more challenging to weld than steel.

Yeah I know a guy who can tig it for me.  Just need a ti pin to go in the hole