Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Follower for new STI magazines

RangerTrace

I put another 200 rounds through my new CK Arms 9mm IDPA pistol yesterday.  With a new style STI magazine, the slide locked back with a round in the magazine several times, but not every time.  I removed the slide, installed the slide stop and noticed that the shelf of the follower does make contact with the slide stop with 1 round in the magazine, but not enough to pop the slide stop out of the detent.  I used a dremel to remove some material from the shelf.  Like a good hack, I removed a little at a time and checked to see if it still made contact with the slide stop.  Ultimately, I went too far and most likely ruined the follower.

Are the new MBX followers the answer?  Will they work with the stock, new style STI magazines?

25 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I replace the MBX springs and followers with Grams springs in my MBX magazines...  Actually I buy empty MBX tubes without springs and followers, but it's the same thing...

Why don't you guys try Grams followers and springs?

I've used them for years 40 Limited, but without follower mods, they can lock a slide back with 2 rounds left in the mag.  

5 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I've used them for years 40 Limited, but without follower mods, they can lock a slide back with 2 rounds left in the mag.  

Yes, you need to trim the follower tang that lifts the slide stop up...  I also trim the slide stop...

Insert an empty mag into the frame with the slide off and make sure the follower doesn't hit the slide stop... 

1 minute ago, RaylanGivens said:

Yes, you need to trim the follower tang that lifts the slide stop up...  I also trim the slide stop...

Insert an empty mag into the frame with the slide off and make sure the follower doesn't hit the slide stop... 

Yes sir, I know how to keep it from locking the slide back.  I want it to lock the slide back with an empty magazine...not with rounds in the mag.  

After a few minutes on the phone with Beven tonight, I believe the only resolution for me is to tune the follower shelf and the slide stop.  He admitted he, nor MBX could build a mag correctly for my IDPA needs.  You would expect one to say a competitor couldn't do it, but I respect the heck out of a guy who says he can't do it either......and he's been building mags for a LONG time......

30 minutes ago, v1911 said:

If your slide locks back and you drop the mag only to find there was a round left in the mag, you're ok. It's considered a malfunction and no PE will be assigned. 

Did I mention that I love me some v1911!!

43 minutes ago, v1911 said:

If your slide locks back and you drop the mag only to find there was a round left in the mag, you're ok. It's considered a malfunction and no PE will be assigned. 

+1

yep my sti tactical does this periodically.  haven't taken the time to identify which mag(s) are the culprit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 7:38 PM, v1911 said:

I could see that happening once or twice - but what if it happened every stage of the match? How would you handle that?

As a competitor, I would be planning my stages around a division capacity start. So if my mags are not co-operating, chances are my game plan isn't going to go accordingly.

If I was limited to only 3 mags that day and couldn't be without the faulty mag, then I would use it for my reload or as my 3rd.

As an SO, if I saw a competitor having a legit problem with their mags, I'd offer some advise that would enable them to stay within the rules while avoiding any accusations of wrong doing.

It's easy to spot a competitor having legit troubles. In this case, if I were running Trace and he went to slide lock prematurely, it would probably result in Trace trying to still squeeze off a round not realizing he's gone to slide lock. His natural reaction would probably be to drop the mag and reload. The SK would probably see that the recently dropped mag had ammo still in it. If he tried to give him a PE for it, I would be there to argue that the competitor had a malfunction.

I'm one of those weird people that likes to assume the best in others. If it was found that a competitor was doing something to gain an advantage, I'd probably consult with the MD and see if a PE or possibly an FP were in order.