Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IWB at tier 2 - 4 matches?

MarilynMonbro

I've been shooting my local matches with an iwb and t-shirt for no reason other than to just do it and not wearing a vest or jacket. I've been thinking about shooting my next higher tier match with the same setup.

Has anyone here done this? I saw a discussion on Facebook about this and a couple of guys did not recommend it due to "overkill SOs" constantly warning you about muzzling yourself.

Given that a shooter is just as fast, or possibly faster, using an IWB and t-shirt rig versus OWB and vest rig do you see any issues with this?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

to me the choice is do you want to use idpa as real life practice for what and how you carry, or use it as a game and do all you can do to win (or place higher).  some matches i'll practice carry (iwb glock 32 357sig or 4" wilson .45) and others i'll game it a little with owb glock 17, sti eagle or tactical 9mm.

There are some dangers with the reholstering that you have to beware of. It does generally require 2 hands to safely reholster as appose to the single hand ease of a OWB. As long as you're careful not to sweep your weak hand while reholstering, I don't see an issue with it.  

1 hour ago, v1911 said:

There are some dangers with the reholstering that you have to beware of. It does generally require 2 hands to safely reholster as appose to the single hand ease of a OWB. As long as you're careful not to sweep your weak hand while reholstering, I don't see an issue with it.  

A good all-kydex IWB allows easy 1-handed reholstering - as long as you're careful to sweep the shirt well away before going for the holster it's perfectly safe. Clearing the Tshirt with the off-hand is also easy to accomplish while staying a full foot wide of the holster.

A good all-kydex IWB allows easy 1-handed reholstering - as long as you're careful to sweep the shirt well away before going for the holster it's perfectly safe. Clearing the Tshirt with the off-hand is also easy to accomplish while staying a full foot wide of the holster.

Ah. So it's the re-holstering that could be the issue. I was thinking it was the drawand people were getting called out for sweeping their body, for these who carry behind the hip. Was curious if that's an issue has there are lots shapes and sizes of people.

typically when people are seen sweeping their support hand: either as it pulls aside your shirt/vest for either drawing or reholsteirng, or as it positions the holster to accept the firearm.

You're most certainly incorrect about an IWB rig beneath a T-shirt being as fast as a straight-drop holster beneath a gaming vest, as well, but don't take that as discouraging you from shooting what you carry.

I'm pretty sure it's only faster for me at this moment because it's how I've been dry firing and competing with for the past several months. I doubt I'll shoot the tier 4 match IWB, but I was curious if anyone has seen other shooters compete IWB at high levels. I've only seen one person at the 3 matches I've done, but a lot at the local club matches