Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning A5 questions

frayluisfan

Hi, all.

Noob here with some questions on the shotgun portion of 3-gun. I've done some IPSC stuff before, and even participated in a couple of matches with a 2-gun stage--rifle + pistol. But I've never done 3-gun. I'm all signed up for one in April, to see if I will enjoy it. I'm thinking I probably will have a great time, but at this point I can't justify laying out a pile of money for a fun gun (3 kids, braces coming up, etc etc).

First question: Will a Browning A5 work as a temporary measure, at least until I have time to save up for a dedicated 3-gun shotty?

Do any of you have feedback on the Nordic Components magazine extensions? I'm thinking of a 3 or 4 round extension, but am a little concerned about how sturdy they are. I understand that you can't clamp a mag extension to the barrel of a Browning A5 because it will interfere with the cycling. If that's the case, will a 3 or 4-round extension be prone to being bonked out of alignment? Would I be better off with a 2-round extension?

Thanks to all for your input.

frayluisan

Hi, all.

Noob here with some questions on the shotgun portion of 3-gun. I've done some IPSC stuff before, and even participated in a couple of matches with a 2-gun stage--rifle + pistol. But I've never done 3-gun. I'm all signed up for one in April, to see if I will enjoy it. I'm thinking I probably will have a great time, but at this point I can't justify laying out a pile of money for a fun gun (3 kids, braces coming up, etc etc).

First question: Will a Browning A5 work as a temporary measure, at least until I have time to save up for a dedicated 3-gun shotty?

Do any of you have feedback on the Nordic Components magazine extensions? I'm thinking of a 3 or 4 round extension, but am a little concerned about how sturdy they are. I understand that you can't clamp a mag extension to the barrel of a Browning A5 because it will interfere with the cycling. If that's the case, will a 3 or 4-round extension be prone to being bonked out of alignment? Would I be better off with a 2-round extension?

Thanks to all for your input.

frayluisan

No clamp, magazine tube is plenty heavy duty to run without a clamp, same answers as before

I would love to see an A5 for 3 gun. I haven't shot an A5 for years, I have a 16 gauge in the safe but it just sits there. You could probably roll a cigarette, have a cup of coffee and reload your pistol mags by the time it cycles though. They cycle sooooo sloooow, thats what I remember anyway.

I have ran an A5 for a few years in 3G with Nordic tube. Just make sure the tube is tight before each stage. Ironically my A5 has never let me down. Can't say that for the three other gas guns I have run. Only set back with A5 is recoil. But, that's really not a big deal. If it is what you have, get the tube and run it with confidence.

I have ran an A5 for a few years in 3G with Nordic tube. Just make sure the tube is tight before each stage. Ironically my A5 has never let me down. Can't say that for the three other gas guns I have run. Only set back with A5 is recoil. But, that's really not a big deal. If it is what you have, get the tube and run it with confidence.

What length of tube did you get? I'm thinking about +3 or +4.

p435323293-4.jpg

They ain't slow (faster than 2 very popular practical shotguns)

Can't use a barrel clamp as the A5 is a long recoil operated shotgun (the barrel reciprocates)

Recoil when properly set up is on par with the Benelli.

Mine have always been reliable.

Extra! Read more about it.

Patrick

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Patrick,

Thanks very much for your reply. I found your article an interesting and very informative read. My buddy has a Winchester SX2, so the next time I see him I will pick his brain about his experience with it.

Your Browning Auto 5 looks about like what I want to turn mine into. Do you mind my asking what magazine extension tube you installed? Did you have any other modifications made to it?

Thanks again,

frayluisfan

Nothing wrong with the A5. Does it have the 2 piece carrier to allow you to speed load the gun ie run it dry and load directly from the bottom and it automatically chambers the first round?

Ekujustice--Yes, it has the speed load feature. Very handy!

• 5 years later...