Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry firing drills?

prickett

I keep seeing EVERYONE say to dry fire on a regular basis. What I don't hear is how to do it. Do the experts mean for me to just aim at something and practice my trigger pull or is there more to it?

When I dry fire, I have a nice slow, controlled pull (take my time and ensure I remain on target the whole time). But, at the range when I shoot, I'm all over the place. I'm shooting faster, so I'm wondering if I should be doing something different in my dry fire drills.

Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Steve Anderson book is great. Just make sure you have a good timer. I have been fudging the times for a while because all I had was a speed timer that would only do .5 sec par settings. Just got my CED7000 in the mail today :) can't wait to get back to it tomorrow. I've only been doing the drills for a few weeks, but can't believe how much faster my first shot times and reload times have gotten in live fire. I've been doing Burkett reloads in my sleep... LOL.

Edited by dsmw5142

Pharaoh Benders video gave me a great start on dry firing drills. Looks like next is the book.

I have the book. Pharaoh's set-up caused me to copy it as much as possible. There are two big advantages: 1. It is a lot more interesting so I am dry firing a lot more without boredom and 2. The set-up is so much quicker.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

Variety is the spice of life and training, so mix things up whenever you feel like you are just going through the motions or else you are simply wasting your time. One way to mix it up is by using Dave's Practice Deck (he just mentioned it like 3 posts above this one).

Seriously. Along with Steve Anderson's books, they are crucial for maximizing your dryfire training.