Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wide bodies

All-Gator

.45 ACP midrange is listed as a 185 at 750; if it even makes 700 fps, it has power factor 129,000 and will do fine.

I once saw a S&W staffer shooting one of their DA .45s with midrange in SSP. Worked for him.

I don't understand the craving for a bull barrel. As an old bullseye shooter, I'd think you would want the extra sight radius of a 5". I know I do. But if you just must, there are assorted 4.0-4.2" guns around.

Eric,

Hey, thanks for all the good info. You are right about the grip angle being no big deal...the problem for me is my grip itself. All of my pistols have Swenson safeties (with the top half of the vertical portion removed) on which my right thumb rests. My muscle memory has me putting my right thumb right where it rides against the Glock slide. In addition, I place my left index finger around the front of the trigger guard...thus putting my left thumb high against the slide and the base (or meaty portion) of my left thumb (almost) pushing up against the slide lock lever. I've changed this by teaching myself to press both thumbs down against the tops of my fingers...but I don't like the "feel" of the different/new grip. So, taking the path of least resistance...I'll just shoot my wide body.

Since I already have an Eagle in .45, I'll at least start with it...and file the magwell till it fits the box.

Jim,

That's good news. Thanks.

It's not so much a craving for a bull barrel as it's just whats in the pistol right now. A new barrel, new bushing, and a gunsmith to fit it is a few (more than a few) bucks I'd rather spend on something else. In passing, I do believe the extra weight is an advantage in reducing muzzle flip; and, I've been told, that the bull barrel lockup is more consistant than the bushing. As far as the sight radius, you'll get little or no agruement from me about accuracy. But in IPSC/IDPA we aren't trying to shoot a three-inch group at 50 yards. Rapid target acquisition at seven to fifteen yards just doesn't have the same demands for precision...so I accept the trade-off. It's kinda' like the sights themselves: In Bullseye the front blade as almost as wide as the rear sight notch with only the barest of a sliver of light on each side; while in action shooting the blade is narrow with the idea of not covering up the target. Again a loss of accuracy for speed. Now, if I could just learn to be fast.

Super Seniors uber alles.

A-G

You can put a bushing barrel in a full size STI/SV wide-body, and restrict mag loads to 10 (ESP) or 8 (CDP, .45ACP only). BTW, that's 10+1 or 8+1 at startup.

This is not cost effective unless you already have a wide body gun. A barrel and bushing, even with fitting, may less than another gun, especially if you count holsters, magazines, and mag pouches. There is no additional cost if you already need to replace the barrel.

Alternatively, if you don't have the gun yet, and you want to shoot both USPSA/IPSC and IDPA, order it with the bushing barrel and at least 3 mags that will allow it to fit in the box. Getting mags that fit with the gun in both the IPSC Standard and the IDPA box have the added benefit of allowing you to enter international (IPSC) matches in Standard Division.

Hey, just turn down the bull barrel & add a bushing, a $80.00 fast fix.

Hell of a lot cheaper than fitting a new barrel! I shoot my STI eagle in ESP in both 9mm and .40. I think the .40 is going to get milled so I will only be shooting the 9. The reason I do is I love the feel of the STI and its the same frame with diffrent top ends.

The slide has a groove milled in it. I contacted a local smith and he said the cost will be between $125 and $150. Plus the cost of a bushing and a spring plug. I asked him if he were going to use a mandrel so that the bore and OD would be insured to be (more) parallel. He said that he could chuck the chamber and use the live center to do the job. I'm unsure about that. Benny???

For Kalifornia I shoot a Bar-Sto bs-40 with a shortened dust cover

and a 5" bushing barrel.All you have to do is buy a stock bs-40

then send it back to Irv and he will do his thing....it will cost some

bucks though.I have never shot anything I liked better!

The Eagle is headed for Benny.

In a message above it was recommended that I get three mags which would allow the pistol to fit in the IDPA box. I have two 124mm mags which came with pistol when I purchased it during the ban era. In addition I acquired five 140mm mags. So, what mag will work with what mag bases?? Do I need to purchase three additional different mags??

Why is everything so damned complicated??

Hello: I use the 126mm 40 high cap mags that you can get now with Dawson wedge base pads in my STI. I use a SVI magwell on one pistol and a STI magwell on the other. The STI is milled to fit the box. I am not sure if the 124 mags will fit with the Wedge base pads and the magwells. I will try some 9mm mags I have that are the old 124mm. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric

If 126mm/DP wedge pads work for you...they'll work for me. I just order three each of both items.

Did you only have to mill the sides of the STI mag to the required thickness?? Or were other size/angle modifications necessary??

You've truely been a big help through this.

A-G