Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Half cocking a pistol

Safety measure. 

If the gun drops or the sear otherwise slips the hammer, and the trigger is not depressed, it will, or rather should, catch on the half cock hooks... And I mean cock in a non-sexually explicit way, just for moderator clarification. 

Further clarification... Half cock is only really useful as a safety measure from single action cocked. I know the thumb safety engages when in half cock. But I don't know a single person that carries like that in any pistol. Like I said, unless we are loading a flintlock, which we arent, half cock is considered by most as a safety mechanism. 

Edited by ryridesmotox

In a USPSA stage, usually it specifies that your first shot is from double action. Some may not, but I haven't seen any that are. You just lock n load and decock it , there are stages where the gun starts empty, which obviously means your first shot is single action. With your fingers holding the hammer and pull the trigger, ride the hammer all the way to the slide so as not to fire the cartridge, re-holster and start the stage

I don't carry my tanfoglio. I carry one of my 1911s or my HK P2000 with a DAO LEM trigger. The HK has zero safeties (aside from a stupid heavy trigger) and I carry it every single day. I prefer a carry gun with no external safeties to disengage. If you have to draw and fire your pistol, the simpler, the better. My 1911s are cocked and locked. If I carried a double/single, I would carry it with the hammer down on a loaded chamber, probably safety on, I ride the safety on 1911a and high power/cz designs, including Tanfos.  Once I get my shooting grip, he safety would be off anyways and under my thumb so it would not re-engage. 

Edited by ryridesmotox

1 hour ago, ryridesmotox said:

In a USPSA stage, usually it specifies that your first shot is from double action. Some may not, but I haven't seen any that are. 

Depends on the exact gun and division. Production- guns must be on approved list. and from D4

— Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal

You aren't allowed to start in the half-cock position, unless you have a decocker that drops the hammer somewhere between the half-cock and the hammer fully down.

Actually it's the opposite
Hammer fully decocked unless it has a decocker then use the decocker and wherever that puts the hammer is fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, michael1one said:

lol.  Thanks.  So both of you start every station half-cocked?  Are there ones that you would consider being full-cocked?

As the others have said, in Production you always have the hammer all the way down at the start beep. This is specified in the rulebook. Half-cock is not allowed.

To safely device the gun, don't pinch the hammer. You will eventually slip if you do it that way. Instead, place your thumb between the hammer and the slide, press the trigger, and slowly roll your thumb out of the way.