Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Challenged

mont1120

So I bought the Carry Optics set up for my XDm to try the division out. My eyes will soon force me out of L10/SS. If I see I enjoy it, I will be looking to get a 9MM instead of the .40 XDm I already have. Since the winning gun in Production is seemingly always the CZ, I am considering buying one. The problem I have is which one.

I do not understand the whole rules issue about SA and DA, decockers, and triggers. So my question is which model of CZ works in both Production and Carry Optics. I prefer the short dust cover version of the 75/85, and am left handed. I certainly don't have a problem buying used and upgrading options myself such as sights and minor gunsmithing jobs. It seems the 85 is discontinued, but again, building a CZ up seems to be the norm, and does not look to be all that difficult.

So, what should I be looking for, including weight issues in CO? And what indeed makes it Production OK, or what is not acceptable in Production?

CZ / Tanfo lines are the new hotness in production. But Tanfo's are seemingly not in the running w/ the 45oz limit & extended magazines.

Nearly all CZ's work in production & carry optics; to be legal in CO it must be on the production list.  Do yourself a favor and read the rules for both divisions, they are similar but different enough to cause issues.

Pick a gun that you like, buy some Cajun Gunworks parts, following KneelingAtlas' CZ tuning guide and you'll be on the road to winnersville. 

Download 40 to 9mm levels and try it out with your XDm.  My Minor 40 load is 2.8gr Alliant e3 under a 180gr poly coated bullet.  140PF.  It shoots softer than a 9mm and it is much quieter.  You can download it even further if you like.  I originally did not because at 140PF I gould use the same recoil spring for both Major and Minor.

To give you an example of how low you can go and still have good accuracy, consider this.  I developed a powder puff 40 load for Steel Challenge.  3.3gr e3 under a Rainier 135gr bullet.  It only makes 109PF.    MY CZ doesn't move a bit when this load is fired.

BTW, I'm not trying to talk you out of a CZ.  I love mine.  I'm suggesting you try CO first to see what you think of it.  With the ammo capacity restrictions removed, you plan stages like you were shooting Limited.  If you do like it, you could consider going to Open, which is even more fun.  I shoot 40 Open and do not consider I am under any disadvantage at all compared to 9mm Major.  In fact, there are certain advantages to 40. 

I think the Shadow is the one to get.  I believe the SP-01's can't be milled as deep to get the optic lower because of the firing pin block.

You'll have to decock at the LAMR, so you might look I to what that entails.

Weight shouldn't be a problem unless you go overboard.

Nothing will be Production legal if you mill the slide.  If you want to go back and forth, you'll have to find an optics ready model, and I don't believe CZ offers any...Or use a dovetail mount, but that puts the optic pretty high as far as I can tell.

Edited by LeviSS

2 hours ago, mont1120 said:

So I bought the Carry Optics set up for my XDm to try the division out. My eyes will soon force me out of L10/SS. If I see I enjoy it, I will be looking to get a 9MM instead of the .40 XDm I already have. Since the winning gun in Production is seemingly always the CZ, I am considering buying one. The problem I have is which one.

I do not understand the whole rules issue about SA and DA, decockers, and triggers. So my question is which model of CZ works in both Production and Carry Optics. I prefer the short dust cover version of the 75/85, and am left handed. I certainly don't have a problem buying used and upgrading options myself such as sights and minor gunsmithing jobs. It seems the 85 is discontinued, but again, building a CZ up seems to be the norm, and does not look to be all that difficult.

So, what should I be looking for, including weight issues in CO? And what indeed makes it Production OK, or what is not acceptable in Production?

One thing to not forget is single action only guns are not legal in production. So steer clear of the sa only versions of the cz75. Shadows are really the way to go IMHO. If you wanna be able to switch back and forth you may wanna look into a dovetail sight mount. I hear good things about the springer mount. Any reason you don't want a longer dust cover? The added weight up front helps reduce muzzle flip.

Some CZs are Single/Double.  If you manually drop the hammer before holstering, you are shooting Production (or CO).  If you leave the hammer cocked and engage the safety, you are shooting Limited.

Well that clears up some of the issues. So no SA only models. I prefer non long dust covers from an aesthetic viewpoint only. I think sticking with the dovetail site gives me more options. 

Why was the 85 discontinued?

guns legal for production are on a list on the uspsa website. no need to guess or remember criteria. just get a gun on the production approved list and it will be legal for carry optics.

i have my optic in a dovetail mount and once that mount was solid, have had no issues.

get an 85 combat or a 75 shadow, neither are current models if i remember correctly and put your chosen optic in a dovetail mount. done and dusted.

I imagine the 85 was discontinued because it just didn't sell very well. I have an 85 Combat and love it though I would get an SP-01 Shadow if I could do it again.

There is someone over on CZ Firearms selling an optic-ready slide + optic for a decent price if you want to pick up a 75.

Don't know if your specific question was answered.  For production, on pistols on the approved list are allowed in the division.  https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php.  A review of this list shows the pistols generally fall into the three categories -- double action, selective action, or striker fired.

Generally speaking any pistol on the Production list can be used as a CO optics pistol so long as the weight provisions are met.  See the special conditions below.

Additionally, from CO special conditions:

Special conditions:

— Semi-Auto pistols only

— Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal,

— Unless specifically authorized above, modifications are prohibited. {emphasis added}

— A handgun may be approved specifically for Carry Optics division provided that the model of the pistol used is an approved Production Division model AND meets Carry Optics criteria. Any pistol that is not on the approved Production list, but meets Carry Optics criteria must submit a Manufacturers Declaration Form to DNROI stating that a minimum of 500 complete handguns have been manufactured and are available to the general public

Here are the corresponding Production special conditions:

Special conditions:

— Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal,

— Unless specifically authorized above, modifications are prohibited. Except for Item 7, revolvers are subject to all restrictions above. {emphasis added}

— A handgun may be approved and added to the USPSA Approved Production Handgun List after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that a minimum of 2000 complete handguns have been manufactured and available to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the handgun for compliance.

— UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

I omitted the provisions that regardless of caliber Production and CO is a minor only power factor divisions.

Hope this helps.