Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10.2.1 Foot Fault: one or per shot

Steve Koski

On 2/3/2017 at 10:59 PM, Gary Stevens said:

Actually I am concerned about the consistency across the sport.

Mirroring George -- I hate to disagree with you too -- but that's not on my radar......

For Majors I don't think it's hard.  Level 1 -- that's a whole 'nother story, but it could be solved by writing penalties into the stage description/calling the RM, if needed.  I'm probably most concerned about consistency there.....

16 hours ago, Sarge said:

Exactly. When I shoot a match in one place then travel and shoot another and get two RO's with widely differing views on anything it makes the sport look ungoverned. 

It could also just mean that you faulted on two different stages, one where SA was a factor, and one where it wasn't.....

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

I'll bet that many of the ROs making poor calls at local matches are not actually NROI certified ROs, just a local shooter who grabbed the timer.

I don't even count non certified shooters in my equations.

I know that a couple of years back we started making sure that either 1) the penalty level (one or per shot) was written into the stage briefing, or 2) the ROs on the squad discuss it so we all are doing the same thing.  Took an extra 30 seconds to do the first one, and extra 2 minutes to do the second one.  :)

Not difficult--just something local clubs need to get into the habit of doing.  (Note:  We aren't always perfect, but if we aren't sure, we ask to make certain we are being consistent.)

On 2/4/2017 at 9:02 AM, Sarge said:

What EXACTLY is the current wording on SA in seminars? 

a. Depends who's teaching the seminar, unfortunately.

b. Large irrelevant, since we don't ever send experienced ROs back for any type of refresher training (only remedial re-training, in the rarest of circumstances.) With several thousand ROs out there making calls, and only several hundred new ones going through the L1 seminar each year, it's no surprise confusion reigns on some of these matters.

6 hours ago, jester121 said:

Large irrelevant, since we don't ever send experienced ROs back for any type of refresher training (only remedial re-training, in the rarest of circumstances.)

You might consider applying to work at an Area Championship or one of the National Championships.  There, you will be paired with an experienced CRO and possibly learn something.

On 2/9/2017 at 9:22 PM, Schutzenmeister said:

You might consider applying to work at an Area Championship or one of the National Championships.  There, you will be paired with an experienced CRO and possibly learn something.

LOL I'll get right on that, thanks for the tip.