Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match a bust.

AzShooter

Today I had the opportunity to try my 22/45 at it's first match. I think the gun must have been nervous because I had jams on two of my 8 mags. Double feeds, that didn't happen during my earlier practice session.

Federal AutoMatch were working 100 % in practice. No so today. I had to take 4 30 second penalties for not finishing the stage do to jams.

I ran the gun dry. Mistake number 1. One of my friends gave me his can of Rem Oil to lube the gun at next to last stage. It helped. I took the gun apart after the match, cleaned it and lubed it for the next session.

I had a new C-More sight on the gun today. It had the small 3 minute dot. Fine for sighting in and bullseye work but too small for fast shooting like in the Steel Challenge. Mistake number 2. I'm going to replaced the dot with a 12 minute so I can find it faster.

I put a Volquartsen Compensator on the gun. Worked well, gave me better groups that when the barrel was plain. Mistake number 3. I should have tried it in my holster before the match. The Compensator would not go into the holster. I had to put the gun in my shooting bag after each stage. Just an inconvenience.

Someone offered me a new holster, and Ernie Hill Speed which I'm going t take and use for the next match. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said he'd give it to me free. I like the holster for my revolver so I'm sure I will like it for the auto.

I'm going to number all my magazines and see which ones were giving me the problems. I have three new magazines on their way. I'm also going to take them apart and tune them as per that Sticky on the web sight here.

Other than the problems caused by jams it was a good match. Most of my times were faster.

Well, keeping a good attitude and I think I can recover from my mistakes and do better at the next match.

I'm also switching to CCI Mini Mags.

50 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Doesn't sound like a "BUST" to me ...

Sounds like you just graduated Match 101.    :)

Have fun next time.   

+1.  It's called the learning curve, and since you're paying attention and actually learning, you'll do just fine.  When I started, my first matches looked exactly the same as yours.  Now I'm somewhat improved, LOL.  

Same goes for hand loaded ammunition. Works great during testing and practice, but during competition you will have failures to go into battery, you will find that one cartridge that has a light powder charge, nose diving in the magazine. Can't forget squibs.

Also, FYI, every rimfire is different but Federal Automatch runs the WORST (in all caps!!!) for me.  CCI is flawless.  Just be careful with Mini-mags as they're loaded a little long.  If you're gun likes them, then go for it, but you might want to try their normal stuff as well.