Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

should i rezero my gun at 50 yards?

Sandbagger123

my open gun is dead on at 50 feet.  i decided while i was at the rifle side to shoot it at 50 yards . i got a good group ,but it was 4" high at the 1 oclock position.  the 4" is about right for what i have seen for the rise, but i am wondering if i should rezero my gun to hit center 4" high and what effect it will have on windage at closer distances.  

we do get 40 -50 yard shots once in a while at matches . So should i rezero?

Yep 50 yard zero is good for what we do. I have mine zeroed at 50 and it seems to be dead on from 5-50 yards. Closer in you have a slight bit of scope offset to deal with depending on which scope and mount you use. I made a custom mount for my RTS2 and the dot is about 1 to 1.25 inches over the bore centerline. A 90 degree cmore mount will get the dot even lower .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

On 12/1/2016 at 8:14 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

My 9mm Major TruBor hits a couple inches high at 50 yards -

and is good all the way in until I have to aim a few inches high at very close range

on small targets (B shots) :) 

Jack. I can see the advantage to using a 50 yard zero to get a perfect center windage, but is it necessary for elevation.

Around my parts I have never seen a target any further out than 30 to 35 yards. With a zero at 15 yards everything seems to be dead on.

I think I've shot about a dozen targets at 50 yards in USPSA matches.  So no it is not nessisary, but Cmore recommends zeroing at the furtherst anticipated distance.  In 3 gun some matches get crazy with 100 yard shots so zeroing at 50 is good practice.  A 15 yd zero can get you pretty close, and it's where I start.

Everyone should shoot groups at 50 from time to time.  It makes all the other targets look so much closer, and builds confidence.

2 hours ago, MikieM said:

Jack. I can see the advantage to using a 50 yard zero to get a perfect center windage, but is it necessary for elevation.

Around my parts I have never seen a target any further out than 30 to 35 yards. With a zero at 15 yards everything seems to be dead on.

Yup.... I sight in at 15-18 yds. This works great for me 5-35 yds. and that's in 99% of the matches we shoot around here.

G

I like to ZERO at about 20yds. It will shoot just a little high at 35 and just a little low at 5. I'd rather know I have to make minor adjustments on either end than to remember to really compensate for one