Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm tearing up coated bullets?

Mike62

I have loaded around 50K coated bullets in 9mm without issue and were my natural choice when it was time to start loading 10mm. Once I got the press setup (using a buddies LNL AP) I pulled a couple bullets to make sure I wasn't over crimping. I was astonished to see the damage on the base of every bullet. I am placing each bullet in place by hand so I am really confused how this could be happening. Any ideas would be appreciated.

20160731_192003_zpsgo8wtcxw.jpg20160731_191939_zpszdyo8x3r.jpg

Yup, If you're using one of those hammer style inertia bullet pullers, you will almost always get those marks, It is the bullet bouncing and impacting back against the case mouth. Happens whenever I pull bullets using one of those style of pullers. Shouldn't be anything wrong with your loading that I can see.

We'll see if others agree...

Definitely getting bounce back from the bullet puller. Same thing drove me crazy for a while til I figured it out. Easy fix, take one of those cheap foam earplugs and stick it in your puller just like you would stick it in your ear. That cushions the impact of the bullet and no more bounce back.

Definitely getting bounce back from the bullet puller. Same thing drove me crazy for a while til I figured it out. Easy fix, take one of those cheap foam earplugs and stick it in your puller just like you would stick it in your ear. That cushions the impact of the bullet and no more bounce back.,

Ha, never heard that idea. Definitely going to give it a try.

Mike

Do the loaded rounds shoot well? Is there excessive smoke?

Or are you just trying to avoid a problem etc

asking because I've shot 1000's of Bayou's through 10's with no problems

i.e. at 10mm velocities, and I've got a slight ring from the crimp on my pulled bullets

Good fortune with the load work up