Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

0 MOA, 15 MOA, 20 MOA, or 30 MOA scope base?

dtilley001

I'm working on a Rem 700 SPS tactical 308 in a Magpul Hunter stock. Looking at scope bases, primary purpose of the rifle will be for mid range shooting, 500ish yards, just going to be a fun set up & I plan to hunt with it as well. Right now I am going to run a Viper PST 6-24x50 for a scope. Does anyone have a preference on the scope rail? I have a set of Seekins med height rings that I will be using. Just looking for opinions on the scope rail & whether or not the added MOA will be needed for my set up.

Look at your elevation drop for your the ranges you are looking to shoot. As long as you have the adjustment in your scope you should be good to go. If you plan on shooting past 500 with a 308 a 20moa rail wouldn't hurt, and they usually cost about the same.

You will be fine with a 0 Moa at 500. If you plan to ever shoot farther a 20 Moa will be handy and will still allow for 100 yard zero with the pst. More than 20 Moa is not typically necessary for 308. I would get the 20 Moa base if it were me. Only down side is that the scope is not centered in the travel and might be slightly less crisp picture...but usually is not a problem.

• 1 month later...

As far as MOA, put it this way, estimate your going to be around 12~14 minutes of drop at the 500 yard line.  The scope will have 86 minutes of travel with 30 minutes of reticle under the center line of 40 if you dope zero on the top hash instead of the center.  So yea... don't think your going to have a problem with enough elevation... even in a worse case scenario you'll have an easy 15 minutes of adjustment more than you need, not including reticle hold over.  No need for a 15, 20, or more canted base...  

I picked up a 700 SBS Tactical .308win when they first hit the market.  I was super dissatisfied with the junk Hogue stock, and lack of accuracy, not to mention the junk x-pro trigger that came on it.  I mean it was a minute gun off the bench, but POI/POA shifts were horrible because of that stock.   So it sat in the safe for a while.  I picked up an HS Precision stock with Badger DBM bottom metal used right here off BEno's forum.  Having a good gunsmith bedding the action, installing a BO bolt knob, and replacing the trigger. I'm planning on a Vortex PST FFP 2.5-10x on it, using a standard no MOA leupold base and rings.  With the 1 in 12 twist 20" barrel I don't plan on trying to send any 185r juggernauts to the 1000 yard line. I got other rifles for that.  But I am thinking 155.5 berger full bores, it will make a fun little plate ringer within its capability. Maybe 165GMX for hunting...  I figure unless your just trying to make groups on the 100 yard line off the bench, a 6-24 is really over magnified.  FFP is more important because I like to run low power for speed to target and field of view, plus I rather hold over than dial.  If you plan on hunting, I really think you'll like the 2.5-10 better than the 6-24 for the same reason. IMHO

"This information comes from the EGW Evolution Gun Words website."

What is M.O.A?
M.O.A. stands for Minute of Angle. 20 M.O.A. or Minutes of Angle is equal to 1/3 of one degree.

Which M.O.A. do I need to purchase?
We recommend 0 MOA for shorter distance shooting (0-600 yards). See your scope manual to determine the amount of elevation adjustment or range you have. For long distance shooting we recommend 20 MOA (600-1000 yards). The 20 MOA angled downward mount will allow you to see and zero where your bullet will strike over a long distance like 1000 yards.

How far will Zero or 20 M.O.A. allow me to shoot?
Zero M.O.A. is generally used for shooting 0 – 600 Yards depending on your scope and caliber
20 M.O.A. is generally used for shooting 600 – 1000 + yards depending on your scope and caliber
At 100 yards, one M.O.A. is about 1" (slightly more).
The scope mount cants downward at 20 M.O.A., which will allow you to zero your gun at a greater distance.
At 600 yards, a 20 M.O.A mount will point the scope down .120” or point the barrel up depending on your perspective.
One M.O.A. = 1" at 100 yards or 6 inches at 600 yards. 20 M.O.A. = 200 inches at 1000 yards.

For Example:
At 650 yards with a .308, with your scope centered (middle of adjustment), a 20 M.O.A. mount will be right on.

• 2 months later...

here's my 2 cents on this issue.    if the scope that you are using will accommodate the elevation, then you won't need a MOA+ base.    Now then, for a 308 with a 168gr bullet, the max usable range is 1000, really about 950 yard.   With a  175gr, its about maybe 1050 yards.   What's makes the usable range is when the bullet drops back across the sound barrier.   The bullet will upset and give a wobble and that is what makes it's usable range and makes it unpredictable past that range.    My savage F in 6.5x284 with 140gr bergers at 2930 fps will drop down into subsonic at about 1850 yards and with my Leoupold Mark 4 and 20 MOA base is a true 1 mile rifle.   No you don't need a MOA+ base unless you scope doesn't have the vertical movement for what you want. 

• 1 month later...