Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star

I'm thinking about buying a Texas star target for practice. The manufacturers I've been looking at are CMP, GT Targets and MGM. If anyone has experience with setting up, maintenance, and the durability of these stands I'd appreciate the feedback and/or recommendations.

Thanks Scott, I'll take a closer look at them and shoot him an email.

Was hoping to get some comparisons to mgm and cmt on weight, durability, setup. What makes GT the best in your opinion? I'd like some detail if you wouldn't mind

Edited by Kungfurabbit

A star would be a PITA to reset every time you shoot it. I would buy a plate rack with the long rope to reset from shooting location.

When I bought the star for our club I tried repeatedly to buy from GT but they weren't very responsive so I went with MGM. Had it the next week.

I have been dry firing scaled-down paper Texas Stars. It would be nice to get the dry fire targets to rock randomly as they do as you pick off the plates on real ones. I hope the dry fire helps at least a little.

I always get a kick out of it when I or other shooters really get that star whipping around fast when it's not going well. I'd love to be able to just knock off those plates so fast that the thing hardly has a chance to start moving. Maybe some day I'll acquire a real one.

A star would be a PITA to reset every time you shoot it. I would buy a plate rack with the long rope to reset from shooting location.

When I bought the star for our club I tried repeatedly to buy from GT but they weren't very responsive so I went with MGM. Had it the next week.

Yeah, I'd probably set it up with additional targets shoot and just reset them all and go again.

Have any feedback on the MGM? Has it performed to expectations?

Yeah, I'd probably set it up with additional targets shoot and just reset them all and go again.

Yes, we shot multiple matches with it and no problems other than the springs eventually wear out. But for individual use they should last years. MGM sells spring packs too if you want an extra set. But it works great

Yes, we shot multiple matches with it and no problems other than the springs eventually wear out. But for individual use they should last years. MGM sells spring packs too if you want an extra set. But it works great

Ok, thanks Sarge. Setup and transportation aren't too difficult? It breaks down pretty small? How long have you guys had it and how many spring replacements in that time?

Ok, thanks Sarge. Setup and transportation aren't too difficult? It breaks down pretty small? How long have you guys had it and how many spring replacements in that time?
Very heavy and awkward because the heavy vase swings when you pick it up. Most would call it a two man lift. It doesn't break down. Only the plates come off and the leg extensions.

We changed springs during a state match one time because plates fell too easily if you shot the arm instead of the plate. And people were probably over pulling them to hang plates. I'd guess springs las a long time with one careful user

Thanks for all the info Sarge. I have a buddy that usually goes with me. I'm sure I can put him to work helping setting up. And I don't think spring replacements will be a big deal for casual use, any other maintenance tips? Lube? Or other target stands that you would recommend?

So I realize this is probably not what you want to hear, but does your club have a regular plate rack? Because if so, I would save my money buying a star and use it on ammo for shooting a plate rack. If you shoot a star properly then it is really no different than a stationary plate rack.

Unless you are specifically looking at using it for partially behind barrels or only being able to see the bottom plate type stuff, cause then I get it.

do you see Texas Stars so often at matches that you feel you need to train on the regularly? Don't know if you go to or plan to go to level 2 & 3 matches but you'll virtually never see one of these at them, it's a local match thing only .... I'd probably buy a swinger before ever buying a Texas Star ... those you'll see all the time ... just my 2 cents ... and Scott is right, GT Targets are the best ... we just picked up a brand new set of Steel Challenge targets from them 2 weeks ago ....

do you see Texas Stars so often at matches that you feel you need to train on the regularly? Don't know if you go to or plan to go to level 2 & 3 matches but you'll virtually never see one of these at them, it's a local match thing only .... I'd probably buy a swinger before ever buying a Texas Star ... those you'll see all the time ... just my 2 cents ... and Scott is right, GT Targets are the best ... we just picked up a brand new set of Steel Challenge targets from them 2 weeks ago ....

Yeah, I'm starting to lean that way. Swinger over star. But the information on the targets is still nice to have. Thanks!

MGM is hard to beat for any type steel target and I don't think any steel target company gives back to the sport more than MGM. With that being said, hope you plan to bring a couple friends to help reset the star because as you probably know, repeatedly bending and picking up those plates will wear you down pretty quickly.

Jon