Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M3000 double firing

Ryan N

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to swapping g hammers. Here is a side by side comparison between a hammer thst is good (marked "O") and the hammer from the problem fcg. They pretty much look the same to me. Being that Benelli said they replaced the disconnecter, I thought the hammer would be the next thing. I have now replaced the hammer from my older m3000. Will try it out at a match on Sat.

20160214_162754_LLS_zpsivxutwed.jpg

20160214_162541_zpsatk4gpl1.jpg

Edited by Ryan N

Installing a hammer from my other M3000 didn't solve the problem. I had 2 double fires within 75 rounds yesterday. Not certain what my next step will be since Benelli already said they replaced the disconnector.

I think this is more complicated than a single part. I would take it back to where you bought it and just ask them to get the distributor to swap it out for new one, or ask the repair people the same thing. The whole geometry is wrong-something is out of spec and really, you shouldn't have to do it. Unless you really want to. Your time is valuable. Guns are like any other manufactured product, there are bound to be a few that just don't work right-lemons, if you will.

I bought a 24" M3000 and right out of the box the hammer would fall when resetting the trigger. I emailed Stoeger and after 4 days with no response I decided the best solution was to repair myself. After researching the big Stoeger thread here, I saw that the problem was the same as what Openclassterror described a fix for removing metal from the disconnector.
I slowly (5 trys) refitted the disconnector to release later and am happy to say after 300 rounds the gun runs flawless.
The M3000 is a great platform (should be as copied from Benelli) but for the life of me I can't see why Stoeger doesn't take a real safety issue like this more serious. I even emailed the serial number to help track a possible QC issue and got no response whatsoever.
I would consider sending the trigger group to MOA for a race tuneup for extra cost rather than sending back to gamble a repair with Stoeger... Just an option.

Based on the parts that have been swapped, and the continuation of the problem, I would almost wager money that the gap between the disconnector and the trigger hook is too big. Here is a picture of the issue. What happens in this case is that the hammer is releasing from the disconnector before the primary trigger hook is positioned to catch the hammer. If the timing is marginal, it won't show up unless recoil is included in the mix. If severe, the hammer will fall during bench testing when the trigger is reset very slowly. The correct fix is to remove a TINY amount of metal from the two little tabs that the disconnector rests against, allowing the disconnector to travel further forward. If you go too far, our replacement disconnector has a little tail on the bottom that allows a set screw to adjust the distance between the hooks (second picture)

I would be happy to help if needed, but it is fixable without a gunsmith. Test as follows:

Remove trigger group from gun. Cock the hammer, and disengage the safety. The hammer will be engaged on the primary (trigger) hook. Now, if you push the hammer further back by hand, the rear hammer hook should have basically no clearance as it passes the disconnector hook when the trigger is at rest. It is, in fact, OK if the hammer brushes against the disconnector a little bit, as long as it doesn't catch. If there is a visible gap between the hammer and the disconnector when you push the hammer past it, THAT IS THE PROBLEM. If it looks like the first picture, the gun will double from time to time. Let me know what you find out

Tom

post-48876-0-34114800-1456286927_thumb.j

post-48876-0-96312500-1456287278_thumb.j

Edited by openclassterror

Based on the parts that have been swapped, and the continuation of the problem, I would almost wager money that the gap between the disconnector and the trigger hook is too big. Here is a picture of the issue. What happens in this case is that the hammer is releasing from the disconnector before the primary trigger hook is positioned to catch the hammer. If the timing is marginal, it won't show up unless recoil is included in the mix. If severe, the hammer will fall during bench testing when the trigger is reset very slowly. The correct fix is to remove a TINY amount of metal from the two little tabs that the disconnector rests against, allowing the disconnector to travel further forward. If you go too far, our replacement disconnector has a little tail on the bottom that allows a set screw to adjust the distance between the hooks (second picture)

I would be happy to help if needed, but it is fixable without a gunsmith. Test as follows:

Remove trigger group from gun. Cock the hammer, and disengage the safety. The hammer will be engaged on the primary (trigger) hook. Now, if you push the hammer further back by hand, the rear hammer hook should have basically no clearance as it passes the disconnector hook when the trigger is at rest. It is, in fact, OK if the hammer brushes against the disconnector a little bit, as long as it doesn't catch. If there is a visible gap between the hammer and the disconnector when you push the hammer past it, THAT IS THE PROBLEM. If it looks like the first picture, the gun will double from time to time. Let me know what you find out

Tom

Awesome Tom. So I'm looking for the hammer to at least brush the disconnector a little bit when pushing the hammer back and the trigger is not being pulled... right?

OK, I measured between the hook and disconnector on both shotguns with feeler gauges and best I can tell I have .013" clearance on the new(doubles) trigger group and .006" on my older trigger group. I plan to look at removing a little metal as Tom has described.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a new hammer from MOA and my M3K is running like champ. 200 rounds without a double. With the new hammer, the gap between the hammer hook and disconnect became practically nonexistent. The gap before the new hammer looked like Ryan's in the post above. The Stoeger part number on the bag Tom sent was 33414 with nomenclature of M3500 Hammer. In hind sight, filing the disconnector may have worked just as well. Thanks Tom.

Edited by Blacksheep