Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber Conversions on an XL650

I recently acquired a pair of 9mm 2011's and plan to shoot Limited Minor off and on. I have my press set up to load 40 right now. The questions is how much work is it to change back and forth between the two calibers if I purchase all of the necessary parts to do so. I figure having to change the shell plate is going to require re-setting the OAL when changing back and forth between calibers. Any other considerations that I may be overlooking? Thanks

It just made more sense to me to have a toolhead, powder dispenser, dies, etc. for each caliber; for me, it's just simple to swap out the entire toolhead and move on. Some might think different but it works for me!

The complete tool head carries with its all the adjustments, powder weight and the OAL, so you just swap it and you are ready to go. You will also have to change the case feeder bushings, but that is also simple.

The quick change is the easiest way to go. I can switch from 9mm to 223 in about 2 minutes only because I have to flip the primer block from pistol to rifle. Otherwise, it would take 30 seconds.

Definitely get another tool head but you don't need the full quick change kit IMO. You can either get the uniquetek micrometer powder bar or just buy a second standard powder. There's a thread on here somewhere with a link to a website where you can punch in the cals you have and the cals you want and it tells you exactly what parts you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm buying a toolhead for each caliber but not the powder measure... at least until I start loading rifle rounds. My 9mm, 40, and 45 loads all have the same powder and pretty similar charge weights so it's not difficult to swap the powder measure around and fine tune the adjustment for what I'm loading.

I do have a spare powder measure that I'll use for rifle eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm buying a toolhead for each caliber but not the powder measure... at least until I start loading rifle rounds. My 9mm, 40, and 45 loads all have the same powder and pretty similar charge weights so it's not difficult to swap the powder measure around and fine tune the adjustment for what I'm loading.

I agree with you although the micrometer measure would help to speed that along. Much more consistent and knocks time off your caliber swap.

Definitely get another tool head but you don't need the full quick change kit IMO. You can either get the uniquetek micrometer powder bar or just buy a second standard powder. There's a thread on here somewhere with a link to a website where you can punch in the cals you have and the cals you want and it tells you exactly what parts you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The link is also on UniqueTek website where you but the micrometer. This has been money well spent for me. Less thread slop, repeatable and easier to move up or down in charge accurately.

I agree with you although the micrometer measure would help to speed that along. Much more consistent and knocks time off your caliber swap.

I haven't looked into one of those yet but it's tempting.

I've used it enough I can usually dial in pretty close to what I want with minimum trial and error.

9 to 40 is no sweat. I just got my 650 Thursday and set up the 40 side. I don't have my 40 pistol yet(the wait is killing me) so I decided to swap to 45. It took less than 4 minutes and that included swapping the small primer stuff out for large and this was my first time even seeing a 650 in person. Don't skimp on the extra measure! Even with the same powder plug and play is nice.